Starting lineup on ‘D’ in flux (Football Notebook)

Northwestern did not name a defensive Player of the Week after its game against Minnesota.

In fact, NU head coach Randy Walker said that until Thursday he might not even be able to name a starting defensive lineup.

“There’s some positions up for grabs,” Walker said. “We’re starting where we left off, but I bet you by Thursday there could be some changes.”

En route to scoring 45 points in last Thursday’s victory, the Golden Gophers ran over the Wildcats for 418 yards in rushing offense with an average of six yards per carry. NU’s leading tackler, middle linebacker John Pickens, managed only eight tackles in the game.

“We’re going to find out if Minnesota was an aberration or it’s the way we want to play,” Walker said. “And if it’s the way some guys want to play, they’re not going to play.”

Walker said the football staff “flat-out challenged” members of the defense this week, and playing time in Saturday’s game against Penn State will be decided by performances in practice this week.

“It would be wrong to say we’ve got many ‘ones’ on defense right now, especially in the front seven,” Walker said. “It’d be hard to say, this is a bona fide player, first-team starter.”

FOOT-BALL FLAWED: After losing by three points to Minnesota on Thursday night, Walker knew what his squad needed.

Well, he knew one thing it needed — a field goal.

But of the two opportunities that would have kept the Cats in the game, one was wide and the other fell short.

“It would have been nice if we knocked a couple through those white poles,” Walker said.

NU kicker David Wasielewski’s first attempt came on the Cats’ second possession of the game, a 45 yarder that sailed wide right. The second, which Walker later called “unrealistic,” was a 52-yard attempt, which fell so short it bounced in the middle of the endzone.

Last week, against Ohio State, Wasielewski made his first three field goals, but missed from the 18-yard line in the second quarter and the 39-yard line in the third.

“It’s been disappointing the last two weeks,” Walker said. “We try to find a way to give (the kicking team) the tools they need. We videotape every kick he makes in practice. We view it every day. It’s a matter of personal pride.

“That’s his job. That’s why he has a scholarship.”

Toward the end of the second quarter of the Minnesota game, punter Brian Huffman received a low snap from Sean Mansfield.

The ensuing punt was blocked by the Golden Gophers at the NU 9-yard line and returned for a touchdown, putting the Cats down seven points heading into the locker room.

Walker said the staff was unhappy with special teams play, but is not planning any position changes for Penn State.

QUARTERBACK, TAKE THREE: At the beginning of the season, sophomore Tony Stauss was the starting quarterback, and true freshman Derrell Jenkins wasn’t on the NU depth chart.

Then redshirt freshman Brett Basanez became the starter, and true freshman Alexander Webb was his backup.

Now, two injuries later, Stauss is again the starter and Jenkins — who has yet to take his first collegiate snap — is second in line.

Jenkins has been the third-string quarterback since Webb lacerated his liver against Texas Christian, and he became the second string when Basanez fractured his fibula last week against Minnesota.

“He’s traveled to every game,” Walker said of Jenkins. “He’s been a third virtually the whole season. Your third quarterback is a guy who gets almost no reps, but gets a lot of mental work and is coached.”

Jenkins, a native of nearby Bolingbrook, Ill., holds all of his high school’s single-game, single-season and career passing records.

Walker said that while he would prefer that Jenkins retains an extra year of eligibility by not playing this season, he is confident the 18-year-old will rise to the occasion if he has to on Saturday.

“It’s not like we’re bringing him up from the Triple-A team,” Walker said. “He’s not in over his head. He’s in water he can deal with.

“Being honest, I prefer not to play him, but we might not have that luxury. Right now he’s the second quarterback, period.”