Winter chill signals end for West Nile, health officials say

The spread of West Nile virus appears to have halted in Evanston and Skokie with the onset of cooler weather, local health officials said.

The current human case count from the mosquito-borne virus remains at 40 in Evanston and 42 in Skokie, with one death in each city. The Illinois Department of Public Health has not confirmed new cases in the cities in more than a week.

Jay Terry, Evanston’s director of health and human services, said this could signify the end of the West Nile outbreak for the year.

“We are well past the worst stage of the West Nile spread,” he said. “I would be surprised if there were any further cases (this year).”

Mosquito activity usually decreases with the cool fall weather and ends completely after the first freeze.

Evanston’s first human case of West Nile was confirmed by state officials in mid-August after the virus ravaged the local crow population. Other North Shore cities also have been hit hard.

Illinois has had the most human cases of the virus in the nation this summer, with 654. The virus has killed 38 people statewide, all of them older than 60. Nationally, there have been nearly 2,800 cases of the virus this year with 146 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Earlier this month, West Nile surpassed the previous record for cases of a mosquito-transmitted disease in Illinois. It has been the worst outbreak since 1917 when 2,300 cases of malaria were recorded.

Lowell Huckleberry, Skokie’s health director, said he is optimistic there will be no more new cases in the area this year. The virus should not be as widespread in Illinois next summer, based on other states’ experiences, he said.

Terry echoed Huckleberry’s optimism. But he cautioned that West Nile will never disappear completely.

“We have reached the high-water mark this year,” he said. “But the West Nile virus will always be with us.”