Immovable vs. unstoppable

Southern Cal at Washington St.

Time: 6 p.m.

Place: Pullman, Wash.

Line: Southern Cal by 3

TV: TBS

Records: Southern Cal (3-1, 1-0 Pac-10), Washington St. (4-1, 1-0)

What’s at stake: Two evenly matched teams will face each other this season in the biggest test to date for each squad. Only one of them will survive with an undefeated Pac-10 record intact.

Overview: No. 18 Southern Cal has enjoyed great success at Washington State in recent history, winning the last six games played in Pullman. Overall, the Trojans have won 27 of the last 30 meetings between the schools and lead the all-time series 50-7-4.

Led by the nation’s top defense, the Trojans have outscored their opponents 106-47 this season and are coming off a resounding 22-0 win against Oregon State last week.

Nonetheless, toppling No. 17 Washington St. should prove to be a formidable challenge for Southern Cal. The Cougars boast quarterback Jason Gesser, one of the most proficient quarterbacks in the Pac-10. Gesser has a quarterback rating of 155.4 and 1,282 passing yards.

Beyond the numbers, Gesser has shown himself to be a leader by example. The Cougars quarterback showed his toughness last week, as he faced California with a broken rib. Even members of the Golden Bears defense took notice of his resolve.

Georgia at Alabama

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Line: Alabama by 4

TV: CBS

Records: Georgia (4-0, 1-0 SEC ), Alabama (4-1, 1-0)

What’s at stake: No. 7 Georgia looks to jump out to a 5-0 start for the first time since 1982. No. 22 Alabama has never lost to the Bulldogs at home.

Overview: The last time Georgia started its season 5-0, it was led by Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker.

In order for the Bulldogs’ undefeated season to continue, quarterback David Greene will need to play effectively despite a broken bone in his right (non-throwing) hand.

One of Georgia’s main weapons this season has been special teams. The Bulldogs have returned two kicks as well as a blocked punt for touchdowns.

While Georgia eyes a BCS bowl, Alabama is on NCAA probation, making it ineligible from bowl game contention or the SEC title. The Crimson Tide are playing purely for pride this season.

Nonetheless, they have played with remarkable drive, scoring in their opening possession in all five games this year.

Alabama is reeling from injuries, with quarterback Tyler Watts and running back Ahmmad Galloway suffering from a sprained left foot and torn knee ligaments.

The two schools have not met since 1995.

Stanford at Notre Dame

Time: 1:30 p.m.

Place: South Bend, Ind.

Line: Notre Dame by 8

TV: NBC

Records: Stanford (2-1, 0-1 Pac-10), Notre Dame (4-0)

What’s at stake: Notre Dame continues its march toward a BCS bowl. First-year Irish coach Tyrone Willingham can make an emphatic statement to his old team that he has moved on to bigger and better things.

Overview: A win for the ninth-ranked Fighting Irish would give them their best start since 1993. Conversely, Stanford is coming off an embarrassing 65-24 loss to Arizona State.

The Cardinal committed seven turnovers, and allowed 421 yards passing and five touchdowns through the air against Arizona State.

With a win, Willingham will become only the fourth coach in Notre Dame history to win his first five games.

During his seven seasons at Stanford, Willingham amassed a 44-36-1 record (.549) and led the Cardinal to four bowl games, including the Rose Bowl in 1999.

Notre Dame has won the last three games at home versus Stanford.

Kansas St. at Colorado

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Boulder, Colo.

Line: Kansas St. by 3 1/2

TV: ABC

Records: Kansas St. (4-0, 0-0 Big 12), Colorado (2-2, 0-0)

What’s at stake: Although the two schools have gone different ways in the early going, both are riding the momentum of impressive wins as they look to get victory No. 1 in the Big 12.

Overview: As things stand now, No. 13 Kansas State leads the nation in scoring with an average of 51.5 points per game. But it hasn’t all been a cakewalk for Kansas State. The Wildcats sweated out an impressive 27-20 win over Southern Cal on Sept. 21.

Colorado fared quite differently against the Trojans, losing 40-3 on Sept. 14. But the Buffaloes were able to rebound, posting a 31-17 win over UCLA.