Walker: I’m tired of moral victories

Randy Walker knows Michigan State was favored.

He also knows Northwestern’s defense held the Spartans’ star receiver to 53 yards in Saturday’s 39-24 loss.

And he hasn’t forgotten that his 2-3 team — 0-1 in the Big Ten — is very young.

But to be honest, he’s sick of talking about it. Because he also knows that his players had an opportunity to win this weekend, and they blew it.

From here on out, Walker said he isn’t taking youth as an excuse, and his only gauge will be with wins and losses.

“I’m tired of measuring success based on improvement,” he said. “Because that’s a cop-out. The bottom line is, we didn’t win.”

Looking back at the Wildcats’ first two games — a 52-3 blowout at Air Force and a 48-24 loss to Texas Christian — a close loss at Michigan State seems like a huge accomplishment. After all, the Spartans (3-2, 1-0 Big Ten) are led by the dangerous duo of quarterback Jeff Smoker and wide receiver Charles Rogers, and they were ranked as high as No. 14 three weeks ago.

The Cats had Michigan State well within reach into the third quarter on Saturday. NU pulled to 20-17 at the beginning of the second half but was unable to gain the lead. Two consecutive fruitless drives shifted the momentum, and the Cats gave way to breakdowns that put the game in the Spartans’ pocket.

After the game, when Walker heard congratulations from his friends and family, he said he started fuming.

“I just get this feeling,” he said. “It comes from watching things and hearing things and observing the post-game. It’s not our football team, it’s basically outsiders — it could be a parent, it could be my wife. Well-meaning people saying, ‘You’re playing better,’ or ‘It looks better.’ Like they’re shocked.

“I think the thing I want most in life is respect. And as well-meaning as all that is, it’s like a lack of respect. They didn’t think we could win.”

Walker said outsiders’ satisfaction with losing is not only condescending but could lower the team’s expectations. Senior Austin King said it’s important for the players to keep their standards even though friends and family might praise them unconditionally.

“Of course, I kind of expect that from my family,” King said. “It’s like when you bring home a fingerpainting in kindergarten, and it’s horrible, and they tell you it’s awesome and put it on the fridge. They’re going to do that no matter what.”

It’s not that Walker’s unsympathetic, but he’s sick of excuses and sick of losing.

“I am a kinder, gentler guy,” Walker said. “I read that book, ‘I’m OK, You’re OK.’ I’m all about that stuff. I was tender, and I tried to work through this young football team growing up, facing the disappointment and the stunning outcome of the first week and injuries early. I tried to be understanding and patient, and at this point I feel like we have some guys who need to realize they are not young players anymore. After five games it doesn’t count.”

After Saturday’s game, senior Jon Schweighardt made it clear that the upperclassmen were on the same boat.

“The older guys like me and Raheem (Covington), we’re not going to feel good about playing Michigan State tough,” Schweighardt said. “We should have won this game. That’s how we’re going to look at it.”