Basanez struggles in second half

East Lansing, Mich. — It’s been said and it’s been demonstrated.

The Northwestern football team is young, and it shows — in turnovers, in missed assignments, in broken tackles.

And on Saturday, it was evident in the second-half play of freshman quarterback Brett Basanez.

Basanez started off well, completing 10 of 20 passes for 108 yards in the first half and connecting with Jon Schweighardt in the endzone for the Wildcats’ first touchdown.

Despite being sacked on the opening play of the game, Basanez looked poised and efficient, taking advantage of the no-huddle by moving the offense quickly. He balanced the attack, forcing Michigan State’s defense to respect the pass, and making it possible for Jason Wright to run for 110 yards before halftime.

“I came out strong,” Basanez said. “I started out making some shots in the first half that I wanted to get, but then I came out flat after halftime. I need to work on that.”

But it’s tough to argue that Basanez was all that flat — on the second drive of the third quarter he completed a pass to Schweighardt for 24 yards, then rushed for 27 yards on the next snap. He proceeded to run for 10 more yards on the drive, which ended in an NU touchdown.

Basanez’s performance started to deflate when the Cats failed to capitalize on an on-sides kick following that touchdown. On a key third down he underthrew Schweighardt. Basanez officially was flattened by the time the next drive started.

“We just needed to play better in that third quarter,” Wright said. “We came out and tried to establish the pass as we did in the first half, and we just weren’t able to do that. They were able to put people in the box and stop the running game, and it was a long quarter.”

On the drive following David Wasielewski’s missed field goal, Basanez threw three incomplete passes — including one well over receiver Ashton Aikens’ head on third down — and the Cats were penalized five yards for delay of game.

Basanez was 1-for-5 on third-down conversions in the third quarter and completed only five passes in the second half.

NU head coach Randy Walker attributed the third-quarter breakdown to lack of composure.

“I talk about playing in the moment and seizing the opportunity,” Walker said. “We talk about responding so much. That doesn’t mean you get out of your game. Sometimes our young football team, we get so, kind of, juiced, that it’s almost a negative byproduct of the moment.”

Although Basanez took the blame, he refused to admit that inexperience — or intimidation — was a factor in his diminished play.

“Everyone else played really well and it was just on me missing shots this week,” Basanez said. “Out on the field I don’t get emotional. I try to keep myself on a poised level. I just missed (the receivers).”

And playing in front of 74,215 people in his first Big Ten appearance was a non-factor as well, he said.

“It was awesome — exactly what I expected,” the quarterback said. “Lots of fans, lots of people yelling. It was just Big Ten football. It’s exciting.”

Walker emphasized that there are plenty of opportunities left for Basanez — and the Cats — to mature.

Said Walker: “I looked at all these kids in the locker room and I told them, ‘We’re going to be here again. You need to remember what it felt like and where we needed to go, because that was not the kind of execution and kind of play we need.’ It’s one thing not to be successful the first time, and it’s another thing not to be successful the second time.

“Bas had some ups and downs, and I’m sure he’ll play better next week.”