With a winning record in the balance, Cats start Big Ten slate against MSU

Forget the past three seasons.

Right now, the Northwestern men’s soccer team (4-4) is off to its best start since 1998, when it also went 4-4.

“I try not to think about the past,” senior captain Steve Jedlinski said.

Coming off a 2-0 win over Northern Illinois on Wednesday, which snapped a 3-year home winless streak, the Wildcats enter this weekend riding on the talent of a corps of freshmen starters.

The Cats will face a tough opponent in Michigan State (5-2, 0-1 Big Ten) on Sunday. NU has not beaten the Spartans since 1999.

“They’re good, and we’re very young,” NU head coach Tim Lenahan said. “We need to bear down and maybe defend a little more. I just tell the young guys they have to keep getting better.”

NU has steadily improved this season, culminating with what Lenahan considered “the best half we ever had” on Wednesday. The defense limited Northern Illinois to one shot on goal.

Defense will be a deciding factor for the Cats against Michigan State, which has outscored opponents 19-10 this season. In comparison, NU has scored seven goals and given up 11.

Michigan State forward Brett Conley is a scoring threat with five goals this season. He had a hat trick last week against Valparaiso, a team that shutout NU 2-0.

But despite the apparent mismatch between NU and Michigan State, the Cats believe they have an honest chance at beating the Spartans, Jedlinski said.

“We played well against two Top-25 teams earlier in the season,” he said. “And the last time Michigan State played us at home (in 1999), we beat them.”

Earlier in the season, the Cats held their own against No. 22 Columbia in a 2-1 loss and outshot No. 12 Bradley in the second half of a 3-0 loss.

NU also has a chance to kick the Spartans when they’re down. Michigan State is coming off a 6-1 loss to perennial powerhouse No. 5 Indiana.

The Spartans were victimized on both sides of the ball and were outshot by the Hoosiers 15-6 in the second half. The loss also snapped Spartans goalkeeper Tyler Robinson’s three-game shutout streak.

For everyone on the NU squad, being an underdog is nothing new. But this season they may actually have a chance at a winning record.

“I knew the opportunity was there,” Jedlinski said. “This is why I came to Northwestern.”

NU (4-4) at Michigan State (5-2, 0-1 Big Ten)

1 p.m. Sunday

Old College Field

East Lansing, Mich.