For the love of peace

On Thursdays, picket signs met head to head with traffic nearing the point where Sheridan Road and Chicago Avenue converge. There, under the Arch, passing students were flanked with fliers and petitions.

The messages were all the same: “We’re against the war.”

With a United States attack on Iraq still in the works, some Evanston residents are trying to do their part in keeping the peace.

The North Suburban Peace Initiative gathers twice a week to protest the possible conflict. They are near the Arch every Thursday afternoon and at the Central Street Metra station Tuesdays.

“We want to educate people about the huge expense that could result from a war with Iraq,” said Northwestern Prof. Richard Tholin, a member of the group. “It’s something we have to do.”

At the protests, called “vigils” by the group, about five volunteers distribute fliers, hold signs and speak to people about the potential dangers a war poses to the country.

Protesters said they are hoping their vigils can raise questions about the possible dangers resulting from the conflict. Members of the group claim such a war would be illegal, expensive and unpopular.

“We’re going to keep doing this as long as it takes,” said Jean McCulloch, one of the group members. “Every week, we’ll be here.”

With about 800 members, the nonprofit organization, whose headquarters is at 2214 Ridge Ave., focuses on spreading its message throughout the north suburbs of Chicago.

Members encourage contacting members of congress via telephone or mail to speak out against the war.

“A potential war draws little support from other countries,” Tholin said. “Do students want to live in a world where the U.S. is feared and hated? Terrorists will have another excuse to attack America.”

In the aftermath of Sept. 11, large numbers of Muslim Americans have been attacked and discriminated against and more would be alienated if the United States went to war with Iraq, Tholin said.

“Muslim-Americans will be affected, as well as others in our community — Northwestern has a diverse student body,” said Evanston resident Bernice Barta, a member of the group. “International students are particularly affected.”

Northwestern has about 400 international students.

The group also is sponsoring a forum, “America’s pending war with Iraq,” to be held Oct. 5 at the Winnetka Presbyterian Church, 1255 Willow Road. The event will feature two speakers, NU Prof. Doug Cassel and congressional candidate Hank Perritt.

“My goal is to provide information about international law and military actions,” said Cassel, who specializes in international human rights at the Law School.

Perritt is running as the democratic candidate for the 10th congressional district in the House of Representatives.

“Often, they are too worried about votes to speak out,” Barta said. “We support Perritt and other congressional candidates who speak out.”

The group also urges NU students and other Evanston residents to volunteer or sign the group’s petition, which has accumulated about 2,200 signatures. At least some students are signing the petition and say they support the group.

“Their protests are providing an energetic debate about war,” said Vasu Venkata, a Weinberg sophomore. “Going to war with Iraq will justify going to war with any country that potentially could attack the U.S. That’s wrong.”