Cats off to best start in 4 years

Sometimes standings can be deceiving — at least according to the Northwestern volleyball team.

Although the Wildcats (7-5) have the worst record in the Big Ten heading into this weekend’s conference openers, they’ve had a more difficult preseason schedule than any of their Big Ten rivals.

NU has been defeated by No. 14 Pepperdine and No. 15 North Carolina, but the Cats view playing tough opponents as the best kind of practice, senior Kelli Meyer said. And even though they’ve played top teams, NU boasts a winning record and is off to its best start in four years.

“We’re not really intimidated by any schools this year,” Meyer said.

The Cats head downstate to kick off their conference schedule tonight at 7 p.m. against Illinois (6-3), then travel to Purdue (9-3) for a 2 p.m. Sunday match.

Although Illinois may have a better record than NU, the Cats plan on making the Fighting Illini work for every kill. Emotions will run high as some of the Cats have personal connections to their opponents.

Over the summer, Meyer, senior Sarah Ballog and assistant coach Josh Grau participated in the Sibillini tournament in Italy with two Illinois players and Illini assistant coach Anne Kordes. Although they bonded overseas, don’t expect the players and coaches to take it easy on their friends back in the states.

“In-state bragging rights are on the line,” NU head coach Keylor Chan said. “We want to bring respect for our school.”

The Cats have their work cut out for them, as the status of their leading hitter is still uncertain. Junior Erika Lange injured her knee last weekend while playing in the first game of the Wildcat Classic and sat quietly on the bench the rest of the tournament.

“It’s day-by-day, ” Chan said about Lange’s availability. “The most important thing is to not rush her back.”

Despite the temporary loss of the middle blocker, the Cats were able to outplay Harvard last Saturday when Ballog and freshman Christie Gardner assumed leadership roles.

“Our starters are so even and are all at the same caliber of playing,” Meyer said.

But for any team, no matter where it rests in the standings, opening the conference season on the road isn’t an ideal situation.

“It will be a challenge to go to Champaign and upset Illinois, but we think we can do it,” Chan said. “We know we can do it.”

Chan puts his confidence on the line this weekend, given that the Illini and the Boilermakers have plenty to brag about.

Under the guidance of Don Hardin, last season’s Big Ten Volleyball Coach of the Year, Illinois made it to the second round of the NCAA tournament. And for its part, Purdue is enjoying its best season-opening record since 1985.

One factor on NU’s side is that the majority of the team is upperclassmen who are already familiar with the stress of playing on the road.

“Most of us have been to Illinois and Purdue two to three times and are used to their gymnasiums and facilities,” Meyer said.

Chan believes that if the Cats are solid with the fundamentals, they can open the conference schedule with a pair of wins.

“Be sharp. Be intense. Be efficient,” he said. “If we do that, then everything else will come.”

NU (7-5) at Illinois (6-3)

7 p.m., today

Huff Hall

Champaign

NU (7-5) at Purdue (9-3)

2 p.m., Sunday

Intercollegiate Athletic Facility

W. Lafayette, Ind.