Rapunzel’ introduces international flavor to NU theater scene

Northwestern theater never has been confused with a meeting of the United Nations.

But starting with their debut performance this week, seven members of the International Students Theater Group, representing six nationalities, hope to bring a new perspective to on-campus performances.

The group’s play, titled “Rapunzel: Damn, That Girl’s Still Locked Up?” is a modern adaptation of the bedtime classic. The play will be showing at 8 p.m. Friday, and 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday at the Mussetter-Struble Theater in the Theatre and Interpretation Center as part of the Neo-Spare Rib Festival.

“I wanted to do theater that was not just another show, that brought a new edge and a new perspective, and showed that anyone could do theater,” said Dan Hoyle, a Speech junior and writer and director of the play.

The group was formed Winter Quarter when Hoyle, who had returned from studying abroad in Spain, sent out an e-mail on the International Office mailing list inviting students to join the group.

“Part of it was my desire to be with international students,” Hoyle said. “With the different knowledge and perspectives that people would bring, I knew that it would always be exciting.”

The group includes two Indian students, one American, one Russian, one Costa Rican, one Italian and a student from New Zealand.

“We’re all from different backgrounds and nationalities,” said Michele Calvello, a civil engineering graduate student from Italy. “It’s been a great experience because of getting together and getting to know others.”

Described as “a free, funky and funny-ass 45 minutes” in fliers, the play has an American script with an international flavor enhanced by the mix of languages from around the world.

After receiving $300 from the International Office to finance the play, group members handled almost everything themselves, from creating the set to advertising. Music was added to the play by Zach Weinstein, a Speech senior with the DJ name Chef Bageldog.

Hoyle required no previous theater experience from the members.

“I hope this play encourages people to just get inspired and do a play,” Hoyle said. “It’s very pre-professional.”

Adriana Weisleder, a Weinberg freshman from Costa Rica, said the play was a perfect opportunity for her to get involved in theater.

“I always wanted to do something here, but I always thought it was too intense and too professional,” Weisleder said.

The group hopes to attract more members in the future and continue with new projects.

But Calvello said he hopes the group can retain its emphasis on bringing different nationalities together.

“It’s OK as long as there is no majority from any country,” Calvello joked.