Johnson notches 3 birdies, 2 bogies in rain-shortened Day 1

Tom Johnson’s first day at the NCAA championships was shorter than expected. The Northwestern men’s golf team’s lone representative had his round interrupted by rain Wednesday afternoon at the Scarlet Golf Course in Columbus, Ohio.

More than half the field, including Johnson, was still on the course when officials determined conditions were too poor to continue play.

Johnson completed 10 holes and ended the day at 1-under par. That mark left him in a tie for 21st place, four strokes off the lead. The leader’s score of 5-under normally would be unexpected on the tough course, NU coach Pat Goss said. But the damp conditions and lack of wind Wednesday took the Scarlet Golf Course’s teeth away, and Goss said he wasn’t surprised to see people shoot low scores.

Johnson started off with a bogey but settled in and recorded three birdies before bogeying the 10th hole.

“Tom got off to a little anxious start,” Goss said. “It was just general nerves, but he really hit it great for 10 holes and just played really solidly.”

Johnson will complete his first round this morning before moving on to the second round in the early afternoon. Goss said the extra holes in one day could be an advantage for Johnson, noting that if the sophomore starts to score lower he’ll have more time to adjust.