SAFB to release outcome of A&O financial misconduct inquiry

Student Activities Finance Board members met for more than three hours Tuesday night investigating a possible financial misconduct violation by A&O Productions and Students for Ecological and Environmental Development.

Le’Jamiel Goodall, Associated Student Government financial vice president, refused to comment on the hearing’s outcome.

Depending on the results of the hearing, Senate could vote at its meeting tonight to sanction either student group, or SAFB could close the investigation without recommending action being taken against the groups.

SAFB froze the accounts of the groups last Friday at 5 p.m. after voting to hold a formal investigation based on preliminary findings. Goodall, a Speech and Weinberg junior, said he would not comment on the grounds for the investigation until informing senators at the meeting.

Senators also will hear three new bills at tonight’s meeting about instant run-off voting for ASG elections, expanded hours for the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center parking lot, and dissection alternatives for students with ethical or religious objections.

Weinberg junior Kristina Berta, founder of the new student group Campus Greens, said ASG should allow students to rank their choices for each office and automatically use their second choices if their top choices didn’t receive a majority of the vote. The system proposed in her bill would eliminate the need for run-off elections such as those that occurred in every race this year.

“No voting system is perfect, but this system is ideal for ASG,” Berta said.

Berta interns for an organization, the Midwest Democracy Center, that advocates another alternative voting system for state legislatures that the State of Illinois used from 1870 to 1980.

Berta said she hopes ASG senators see the merits of her bill without much lobbying on her part.

“Maybe I’m naive to think that it just makes sense, and I don’t need to call or send flowers,” she said.

After receiving a parking ticket in the Sports Pavilion parking lot while eating a post-swim practice breakfast Fall Quarter, Steven Petric, an off-campus senator, said he thought students could use the extra enforcement-free hour proposed in his bill.

Parking enforcement patrols currently begin at 7:30 a.m., and his ticket was issued at 7:36 a.m., said Petric, a Weinberg sophomore. His bill would change patrols to begin at 8:30 a.m.

Academic Vice President Tamara Kagel, sponsored the bill about dissection alternatives for students in biology classes. But she said students in Justice For All did much of the research on the issue.

“This is really their issue,” said Kagel, a Speech sophomore. “ASG has the resources and contacts with people who should be able to help them out.”