Tailgate draws Greeks, cultural groups hungry for unity

Hummus, baklava and hooka were just some of the diverse delectables sampled at Wednesday’s multicultural tailgate in the Sorority Quads.

Fraternities and sororities were matched with one of 12 cultural groups who provided food corresponding to the culture.

“The purpose of this event is to get the community at Northwestern together, and for different people to meet each other, share some culture and get some food,” said Lucila Pulido, a Speech junior and president of Lambda Theta Alpha, one of NU’s two Latina sororities. “I’m seeing a lot of people that are not Greek.”

A sizable crowd spanned both ends of the quad for the second annual tailgate part of NU Perspectives Week.

“I think it’s a really great idea,” said Mary Bridget Gurry, a Weinberg senior and Alpha Delta Pi social chairwoman. “It’s a shame that the weather wasn’t better.”

Both Greek and cultural group leaders said the pairings were diverse. Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association chapters were mixed with historically black fraternities and sororities from the National Pan-Hellenic Council, as well as groups including Amnesty International, which served Tibetan food, and Alianza, which served Puerto Rican dishes.

Dishes included Greek baklava and sushi. Also available was apple-scented tobacco smoked on a hooka, a Middle Eastern specialty.

Tanya Colburn, co-president of the Arab Cultural Society, said she enjoyed seeing the diverse mix of cultures.

“I can’t say it’s been a life-changing experience, but I think it’s fun and nice to see all the cultures coming together,” said Colburn, a Speech sophomore.

But some students said they left the tailgates hungering for better organization.

“It’s a good idea to have the tailgates and bring people together, but I feel they need to be more regulated and more under control,” said Kevin Anderson, a Weinberg freshman and member of Chi Psi. “There are people going from one place to another who don’t belong there and people who aren’t even involved in Greek life (or cultural groups) eating the food. It’s a good idea, but it needs to be executed better.”

Despite some cynicism, the empty trays showed most people took something away from the tailgate. By 6 p.m., half an hour after the tailgate started, most of the food was gone.

“It’s been really fun going to all the different houses and trying all the different foods,” said Lauren Williamson, a Speech senior and member of Chi Omega. “I wish there were events like this more often. It’s nice to see so many people from the Greek community together in one place.”