Project to beautify Howard under fire

Cars dodging orange barrels and concrete barriers could soon be cruising through a revitalized neighborhood if a joint project by Evanston and Chicago goes according to plan.

A $3 million effort, known as the Howard Streetscape, should improve the area’s image, said Michael Land, a staff member for Chicago Ald. Joe Moore (49th).

More lighting, a new bus shelter, and signs identifying the neighborhood will be added, said Susan Guderley, a neighborhood planner for Evanston.

In addition, trees and perennial flowers will be planted, and a sign will cover the unsightly Metra line viaduct, Land said.

Guderley said the project started after a neighborhood meeting in 1997. Construction began in late March of this year and should be finished by the end of June. The project’s goal is to bring Evanston and Chicago together. The cities split the cost.

Land said the improved streetscape should encourage new businesses to invest in the area. Soon construction will start on a building in Chicago that will house Marshalls and Bally’s Total Fitness.

Business owners in the area are looking forward to the new landscape, but in the meantime, several are losing money because of the construction.

“I’m trying to stay positive,” said Enoch Anderson, general manger of Buffalo Joe’s, 1849 W. Howard St. “Right now it sucks.”

Anderson said that since the project started, he has lost 25 percent of his business. During lunchtime, construction trucks block the driveway to the parking lot, discouraging customers from eating there.

Another business owner, Ronald Losczyk of Infinite Light Ltd., said he has lost about 25 percent of his business. But he said he is lucky because his store is located on a corner, 525 Howard St., and he has a parking lot in the back.

Guderley said the city did not start the project during the holiday season because construction would have had more of a negative effect on business.

Currently, the south side of Howard Street is closed because the city is working on the water main, Guderley said. Next week construction should move to the other side of the street.

The project will affect Howard Street from Ridge Avenue to the El station. Newly paved sidewalks are currently being installed on the south side of the Howard Street.