IFC, Panhel propose Web site for anonymous hazing reports

The Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association are considering developing either a hotline or a Web site for students to anonymously report hazing.

Greek leaders said they hope the idea can be implemented by next year’s winter rush.

The idea was conceived at last winter’s Big Ten Greek leadership conference, where Northwestern students discovered that neighboring schools, such as Purdue University, had a hotline or Web site.

For this purpose, Bassel Korkor, IFC’s former risk management chairman, is looking into the options, along with Rebecca Unterman, Panhel’s vice president for education; Nicole Reitz, Panhel’s risk management chairwoman; and Bill Valasek, IFC’s executive vice president.

“One area of risk management that we think has been ignored in the past few years has been hazing,” said Korkor, a Weinberg junior. “The Web site and the phone line will let people feel comfortable about reporting hazing before something like what happened at Delta Kappa Epsilon and Kappa Sigma (happens.)”

DKE was kicked off campus last spring for an incident in which two freshman pledges were hospitalized with alcohol poisoning after an off-campus party hosted by DKE members.

Kappa Sig is waiting to hear what its punishment will be after a Winter Quarter incident in which one freshman pledge was hospitalized with alcohol poisoning after a campuswide “pledge dad hunt.”

The idea is still in its early stages. No prototype for the Web site or hotline has been agreed upon, nor have the students involved with the hotline’s creation spoken to administrators at the schools that have them.

Currently, the organizations are not sure whether the finished product will be a Web site, a hotline, or both.

“The main purpose of this site is to educate and to get fraternities and sororities to look at their new member education programs as a whole,” Reitz said. “We want to educate new members so they are happy with the choices their fraternity or sorority is making.”

Valasek said the measures would help prevent future hazing.

“If chapters know that someone can so easily anonymously report things, they’ll be less likely to throw events that might be considered hazing,” Valasek said.

If someone anonymously reported hazing using the hotline, the students in charge “would contact officials at the chapter that was reported and ask them very frankly student to student, ‘Did this happen?’ or ‘Is this going to happen?'” Korkor said. “If somebody reported something that is going to happen, than our priority would be to prevent it.”