Take Your Daughter to Work’ Day brings girls closer to NU

Before visiting a Northwestern biology lab, Marie Ankenman couldn’t even spell the word paramecium. But after investigating the microscopic organism as part of NU’s “Take Your Daughter to Work” Day, Ankenman said she is excited about science.

NU faculty and staff brought their elementary school-age daughters to campus Thursday morning to participate in “Take Your Daughter to Work” Day, a national event exposing girls to the workplace and different careers.

At NU, more than 100 girls attended workshops, ate lunch in the Louis Room and spent the afternoon at work with their sponsors.

Ankenman, daughter of industrial engineering Prof. Bruce Ankenman, participated in a workshop called “Scope This,” in which the girls visited a biology lab and learned how to use the equipment.

At other workshops, girls could make pasta, design their own Web sites, learn about fixing cars or take a self-defense class.

Laura Gamble attended the self-defense workshop as well as a session on carpentry.

“They gave us carpenter glasses,” she said, showing off the new eyewear.

Ida Jacobi Dolce helped paint The Rock for her session.

“We made a petition for Save the Food, Save the People,” she said.

Dolce said she learned that dining halls usually throw away all of their unused food. The girls in her group made a petition asking dining halls to save their food and donate it to shelters.

Her mother, Melissa Jacobi, a technical support consultant at University Library, said she signed Dolce up early because “we wanted to make sure we got a good session.”

After their three morning sessions, Bess and Caroline Featherstone spent the afternoon in the Development and Fund-raising Office working with their father, Ed Featherstone, NU’s associate director of planned and major gifts.

“We like to go on my dad’s computer,” Bess Featherstone said.

Ed Featherstone said he planned to put his daughters to work.

“They’re going to make some calls and ask some alumni for gifts,” he said, smiling at the girls and remarking that no potential donor could turn down their request.

“Take Your Daughter to Work” Day, which takes place each April, celebrated its 10th anniversary this year.