Sunday showers wash out NU’s hopes of climbing ranks

The rain poured down along with the disappointment for the Northwestern women’s golf team when the final round of the Lady Buckeye Spring Invitational in Columbus, Ohio, was canceled this weekend.

The Wildcats placed sixth overall with a two-round score of 622.

“The sixth-place finish was not a finish we are comfortable with, and when play was halted on Sunday, it looked as though we had a great chance to move up with the final round,” NU women’s golf coach Chris Regenberg said. “We know that we are a better team than (the finish indicated), but we still have to show it in every shot we take.”

Senior Emily Gilley and sophomore Hana Kim paced the team, tying for 16th place with 10-over totals of 154.

The tournament was held at Ohio State University’s Scarlet course, a par-72 track that has suited the Cats’ skills in past years. NU placed third in last year’s event with a three-round total of 912 (48-over).

Kent State won the tournament with a 23-over 597. Spots two through five were claimed by Big Ten teams, with No. 4 Ohio State placing second, No. 13 Michigan State in third, No. 37 Indiana in fourth and No. 21 Purdue in fifth.

The Cats now look forward to their trip to Champaign this weekend for the Big Ten championships, hosted by Illinois.

Although freshman Mary Grzebien is disappointed about the results at the Lady Buckeye Invitational, she is optimistic about this weekend, as the team hopes to beat last year’s second-place finish.

“I feel like the team can play really well at the Big Ten,” said Grzebien, sister of NU sophomore golfer Lauren Grzebien. “It’s just a matter of putting it all together.”

Regenberg said the team gave away a few strokes on the green, something they will have to avoid at Big Tens.

“Its four rounds,” said junior Elizabeth Burden, “so we have to mentally prepare for a long tournament and just take one shot at a time.”

Last weekend’s results are not fazing Regenberg. She looks forward to Emily Gilley’s play this week, hoping she can tee it up with confidence without “forcing her game.”

With every stroke being critical in a tournament full of fierce competition, the team will physically and mentally prepare for the longer course and questionable weather conditions.