Students’ opinions mixed on new housing process

They jumped, they smiled, they got angry. Others were just calm.

A new housing system started Monday, but students’ desires to decide their living arrangements remained the same.

Students with housing numbers between 1 and 500 came to Annenberg Hall to sign up for Kemper Hall suites of singles, quads, triples and other arrangements of four.

Mark D’Arienzo, associate director of university housing, estimated that at least 300 people came to select their housing in the first hour. By the end of the night, an estimated 450 people came into the housing assignment room. After only the first night of selection, Kemper suites of singles, Bobb and McCulloch connection triples and Allison Hall male triples had been filled, he said.

Many students who came to the housing selection room said they hoped to get Kemper suites of singles. Those who were unsuccessful in getting the rooms expressed disappointment, and some even threatened to take action against housing officials.

Eight of the Kemper suites were allotted to males and the other eight were reserved for females. But because the last male-controlled group to get a suite had the number 47 and the last female-controlled group had number 17, some women with numbers in the 20s and 30s were upset.

D’Arienzo said housing officials always have tried to keep a balance between the sexes in Kemper as the suites can include both men and women. D’Arienzo said someone is always upset when Kemper closes, but added that housing administrators “do what we can.”

Michelle Brooks, who had number 22, was one of the angry students shut out of Kemper.

“People were counting on me, my number. They might not get to live on campus at all,” said Brooks, a McCormick senior.

Lacey Pletcher, a member of Brooks’ group, said she was disappointed with the new system’s results.

“I would’ve rather drawn my housing number from the trash can,” said Pletcher, a Weinberg sophomore, in reference to the old housing lottery system.

Dan Wold also said his housing group initially didn’t know where they would live next year after missing out on Kemper.

“We missed it by one pick apparently,” said Wold, a Weinberg sophomore. “We’re actually looking at a box outside of Whole Foods.”

Though some students cursed their housing fate, D’Arienzo said he received mostly positive feedback during the night about the new assignment process. Some students, such as Vanessa Ko, went home smiling.

“Kemper is too far up north for me,” said Ko, a Speech junior who decided to live in Foster-Walker Complex.

Despite some upset students, D’Arienzo said first night of the new assignment process went well. Though apprehensive about the change, D’Arienzo said he is ready for the next group of students to come today, when students with numbers higher than 500 will continue to register for quads, triples and arrangements of four tonight.