First students to select rooms for next year; Kemper, the Plex, Allison most desired dorms

Students applying for housing today will know immediately whether they hit the jackpot.

With the elimination of the housing lottery, they will choose their living arrangements directly instead of just preferencing them.

Students who want to live in quads, triples, Kemper Hall suites of singles and four-person arrangements will begin signing up for their housing assignments as the eight-night process of picking rooms begins in Annenberg Hall.

Mark D’Arienzo, associate director of undergraduate housing, said he is excited about this year’s housing process because it is so radically different than what has been done in the past. Administrators approved the new system in February, replacing the lottery in which students drew numbers in Norris University Center and submitted their choices in writing.

During today’s selection process, students will be admitted in groups based on their housing numbers beginning at 5 p.m. Students with the first 500 numbers will pick their living spaces, while students with higher housing numbers will choose tomorrow night.

The nights of April 24 and 25 will be for single-occupancy rooms, April 29 and 30 will be for double-occupancy rooms and the nights of May 1 and 2 will be for any remaining spaces.

So far, 1,853 people have applied to live in residence halls next year, D’Arienzo said. Between April 8 and April 15, about 1,830 students registered online for these numbers. Students who lived in North-Mid Quads Hall, South Mid-Quads Hall and 1856 Orrington registered later due to a mix-up in communication.

D’Arienzo said he plans to post a link from the housing Web site each day by noon listing which dorms were filled the previous night and which have limited space left.

D’Arienzo estimated that about 700 rising seniors, 700 rising juniors and 400 rising sophomores registered for priority numbers, with students being classified based on their number of credits. All students who applied for on-campus housing received their priority number by e-mail Thursday night.

About 25 students who did not register for a housing number have been able to get late housing numbers.

“People are still walking in right now applying for late numbers,” D’Arienzo said.

When students applied for their housing numbers, they were asked where they ideally would like to live. D’Arienzo said Kemper was the most desired dorm, followed by Allison Hall and the Foster-Walker Complex.

D’Arienzo said that he expected Kemper and the Plex to be high on the list because students are allowed to pull a number of friends into these dorms.