NU seniors looking to leave home court with a bang

Every time Northwestern men’s tennis coach Paul Torricelli is asked about his goals for a particular match, the answer is always matter-of-fact: “Win.”

And with a career record of 283-195 at NU, making him the Wildcats’ winningest tennis coach, it seems as if his up-front attitude works.

“He’s a friendly kind of coach,” senior Jamie Sahara said. “But he can throw in suggestions like, ‘Why don’t you try this,’ too.”

Torricelli has had nearly 19 seasons to perfect his coaching technique. He arrived in 1984, succeeding Vandy Christie, the namesake of the Cats’ outdoor tennis center. Coaching at a Division I school, especially one with an esteemed tennis and academic tradition like NU, was always a dream of the California native, who said he would be happy to finish his career in Evanston.

With the end of the season approaching, Torricelli looks upon this year’s team as one of his favorites in his tenure with the Cats.

“I really like the group I have now,” he said. “Some of the guys have seen a lot of adversity, a lot of change, and have done well.”

Torricelli has also done well for himself, racking up three Big Ten Coach of the Year awards (1990, 1993, and 1997) and a Big Ten title in 1990.

It was during the 1989-90 season that Torricelli coached Todd Martin, now a regular on the ATP tour. Torricelli saw his team’s highest national ranking with the 1996-97 team, when the Cats finished at No. 13.

But there’s still work to do before this season goes down in the record books.

This weekend marks the end of regular-season competition for the No. 42 Cats (12-7, 5-3 Big Ten), who will play two home matches at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center. NU squares off against No. 20 Ohio State (19-2, 8-0) Saturday at noon and No. 63 Penn State (11-10, 3-5) Sunday at noon.

Seniors Sahara, Ryan Edlefsen and Joost Hol will walk onto their home court Sunday for the last time. And the end of their run at NU has snuck up on them.

“We’re thinking ‘Whoa, I can’t believe this is it,'” Sahara said. “It’s definitely kind of sad that it’s our last match, but moving on is good.”

Torricelli and the rest of the Cats will undoubtedly miss the trio next season, especially team captains Hol and Sahara.

“Joost and Jamie have grown up a lot over the years,” Torricelli said. “They’ve seen success and are really team players.”

Edlefsen, who transferred from Pepperdine last year, brought his “incredible work ethic” to the team, Torricelli said.

No matter the outcome of this weekend’s matches, the Cats will finish the 2001-2002 season with a winning record. But the Cats are anxious to close out their regular season – and the home careers of Edlefsen, Hol, and Sahara – with two wins.

“That would be the best going-away present,” Torricelli said.