Building security a top concern for Music students

Administrators are still considering installing security measures in the School of Music’s facilities but are struggling with the costs, officials told about 30 students at a Student Advisory Board meeting Monday.

Students raised concerns about security in Regenstein Hall of Music and the Music Administration Building during Winter Quarter after incidents, including the attack of a Northwestern student on the Lakefill and the discovery of a man wandering through Regenstein late at night.

“There are still a lot of things to discuss about the security issue and what we can do about (it),” said Rene Machado, Music’s associate dean for administration and finance. Machado added that he has discussed security options with Eugene Sunshine, NU’s senior vice president for business and finance.

Using a Marlok or similar key system – the means of security requested by the advisory board – would require both expensive technology and personnel to operate the system, said Frederick Hemke, senior associate dean for academic affairs. But the problem will be resolved, he said.

“Something will be done – it’s just a matter of weighing all the options,” he said.

Administrators said they are concerned about the number of instruments being left unguarded in practice rooms for extended periods of time, which not only clutters already-scarce practice space but also endangers the instruments.

During a random sweep of the Regenstein practice rooms Thursday, administrators found five cellos, two violins and a double bass in unattended practice rooms, said Music Prof. Robert Gjerdingen, chairman of academic studies and composition.

One of those instruments alone was worth more than $40,000, but its owner took more than 10 hours to claim it, Hemke said.

Students complain that the locker facilities in Regenstein are inadequate, said DeAunn Davis, advisory board co-chairwoman and a Music junior. But those students do not take enough personal precaution, leaving instruments unsecured and weakening pleas for improvement, she said.

“It’s hard for us to justify spending a lot of money when those people leave their instruments in (a practice) room unlocked all day, ” Davis said.

Students raised other concerns at the meeting, ranging from missing equipment to the possibility of switching from paper towels to hand dryers in bathrooms.

Music junior Paula Brusky said during the forum that the Music Practice Hall, 1823 Sherman Ave., does not have enough chairs. Hemke told students that items such as stands and chairs constantly disappear from the hall, commonly known as the Beehive.

Despite a lack of progress, students said the advisory board still serves a vital function within the school and administrators said the regular forums provide an opportunity to hear students’ concerns.