Candidate for SSVP drops out of the race

On a day when most of the candidates for Associated Student Government executive office stayed busy posting fliers and visiting Greek houses, Steven Petric, a student services vice presidential candidate, announced he was dropping out of the race.

Petric, a Weinberg sophomore, said he decided to withdraw after realizing the level of commitment the position would require.

“I can’t do the position justice with only doing a 50 percent job,” said Petric, who said he has a rigorous schedule as a member of NU’s swimming team. “I have enough respect for the organization to allow someone else to do the job.”

Petric said all three remaining student services candidates are qualified for the position. He said he plans to remain active in ASG next year and will continue to follow through on projects such as a shadowing program in which undergraduate students can form connections with NU alumni.

As Petric reconsidered his run for office, other campaign teams spent late Sunday night and early Monday morning putting up fliers and trying to stay dry.

“We were planning on a full-out fliering frenzy on Sunday night,” said Lilia Lopez, campaign manager for academic vice presidential candidate Tamara Kagel. “But we were limited by the rain.”

Kagel, a Speech sophomore, said the most challenging part of the campaign so far has been “getting wet tape to stick to wet sidewalks.”

Presidential candidate Courtney Brunsfeld said the weather simply forced candidates to focus more on personal campaigning, such as meeting students face to face.

“You can’t rely as much on your paper campaign,” said Brunsfeld, a Weinberg junior. “Even though (the weather) might make campaigning more difficult, it’s probably better for candidates themselves and for students collecting information about candidates.”

Many candidates spent time introducing themselves and their platforms at fraternities on Sunday night and sororities on Monday night during chapter dinners. Rachel Lopez, a candidate for president, said talking to members of the Greek community is important for several reasons.

“You should not just appeal to them simply because they are Greek, but because they are involved students,” said Lopez, a Weinberg junior.

Weinberg junior Nicole Mash, a candidate for executive vice president, said friends from each dorm posted fliers around campus while she focused on the sorority quads.

“(The election commission) said ‘go,’ and I’m ready,” she said. “I’ll get out there every night if I need to.”

Jason Lake and Eileen Keeley, student services vice presidential candidates, said they attended all of their classes Monday, despite the time pressures of campaigning.

“Anyone who is running (should) have time to campaign because they’re going to (need) time for the position,” said Lake, a Weinberg sophomore.

Sadiya Farooqui, a candidate for executive vice president, said balancing her campaign efforts with school work and funding meetings with the Student Activities Finance Board has proved to be difficult.

“I try to get two to three hours of sleep a night,” said Farooqui, a Weinberg junior. “I don’t see my friends anymore. It’s all about multi-tasking.”

Tiffany Berry, a student services vice presidential candidate, said her friends have been understanding.

“They understand what’s going on and that they’ll have me back in a couple of weeks,” she said.

Today will be another hectic day of campaigning for the candidates, as the presidential and executive vice presidential candidates will speak to the Progressive Alliance. Student services and academic vice presidential office-seekers will debate at 7 p.m. in Norris University Center.

The Daily’s Jerome C. Pandell contributed to this report.