Practice opens with questions about backfield

The losses of quarterback Zak Kustok and running back Damien Anderson to graduation have left head football coach Randy Walker with holes at two offensive glamour positions.

Kevin Lawrence appeared to be the heir to Northwestern’s vacated running back slot last year – the fifth-year senior was inserted in the starting slot after Anderson’s season-ending shoulder injury.

Until Lawrence’s own season-ending injury, that is.

For the final two games of the season, Walker had to turn to his No. 3 running back, then-sophomore Torri Stuckey. The quick back gained a career-high 127 yards against Illinois in the Cats’ last game – the team’s second-highest single-game total in 2001 after Anderson’s 189 yards against Duke.

Stuckey will be the top running back in spring practice, as Lawrence is not participating because of his knee injury.

“Kevin Lawrence has got tremendous tools,” Walker said Thursday at NU’s first spring football practice. “He was very productive last year at times. But here’s the positive: Kevin will be back in August and he’ll be ready. What it does is give us a chance to give more reps to other guys.”

In addition to Stuckey, the Cats have five running backs on their spring roster. Juniors Louis Ayeni and Jason Wright, sophomore Noah Herron, freshman Jeff Backes and incoming freshman Clifton Dawson will be participating in the April practices. Dawson and quarterback Alexander Webb completed high school early and have enrolled as full-time students for Spring Quarter in order to participate in spring practices.

Of those running backs, only Herron and Wright got carries last season. Herron ran for 39 yards and Wright just three.

“I call (the running back position) the throne,” Walker said. “When you’re the tailback on our offense, you’re a special guy.

“Well, the throne is vacant. Damien’s been sitting in that throne for a couple years. (But) we got a bunch of good young players. We’re going to have a heck of a competition this spring.”

Anderson ended his NU career as the school’s all-time rushing leader with 4,485 yards. He was also sixth all-time in rushing in the Big Ten.

While Lawrence and Stuckey were the only running backs featured besides Anderson, every pass completion not thrown by Kustok came from the arm of sophomore Tony Stauss.

After redshirting his freshman year, Stauss completed 23 of 38 passes for 136 yards and one touchdown as Kustok’s backup in 2001.

“Tony Stauss has done the things in the last two years to put him out there first,” Walker said. “Now, he’s not out there first by a lot. He hasn’t won a single game yet for us. He has a long way to go, but he has done the right things.

“Right now, of those guys, he’s the first one out. But we see real good things out of Matt Danielson, out of Brett Basanez, and we’ve even got a true freshman in there already.”

Stauss will still face heat from freshman Basanez, junior Danielson and Webb.

“It’s really exciting to get out here now and have a shot for the (starting spot),” Stauss said. “I’m going to go out there and compete as hard as I can. We got two or three other quarterbacks behind me. Right now we’re all on an even playing field.”

While Stauss is the only signal caller at spring practice that even attempted a pass last season, he’s not the only one with collegiate experience – he’s not even the Cats’ yardage leader.

Danielson completed 11 of 18 passes for 151 yards as Kustok’s backup in 2000, when NU went to the Alamo Bowl.

But the junior is still behind Stauss on the quarterback depth chart – as of Thursday, at least.

While the Cats have taken a hit with the departure of two of the team’s high-profile players, Walker said he’s prepared for the loss of Anderson and Kustok.

“I knew this was going to happen,” Walker said. “I didn’t wake up today and say, ‘Gosh, we need a new tailback and a new quarterback.’ I think we’ve recruited well. I’m real excited about these kids.”