Lacrosse looking to come out strong against N. Hampshire

Consistency, consistency, consistency.

That will be the word of the day for the Northwestern lacrosse team (2-5, 0-2 American Lacrosse Conference) as they take the field against New Hampshire (3-3) on Saturday at 2:30 p.m in Durham, N.H.

The Wildcats have routinely struggled at the outset of their games, only playing to their ability once they face a significant deficit.

“It’s mental,” NU coach Kelly Amonte Hiller said. “The girls are only starting to find their niche in preparing to play our opponents.”

Once they get started, the Cats have been a force to be reckoned with. NU was down 7-0 against No. 17 Johns Hopkins at halftime on March 26. But the Cats returned to the field renewed and collected, outscoring the Bluejays 7-4 in the second period.

“The close games give us confidence,” Hiller said, “but we need to be consistent.”

The Cats are led by sophomore attack Angela McMahon, who ranks sixth in the ALC in scoring and contributed four goals in NU’s 13-5 win over Sacred Heart on March 30. She was also one of four players in the nation named an honorable-mention Player of the Week by Insidelacrosse.com earlier in the season.

Standout freshman attack Sarah Albrecht is coming off a strong performance in NU’s 10-5 loss to Virginia Tech on Monday, when she scored twice in the second half, and she notched three goals in the Sacred Heart win.

Freshman Ashley Gersuk remains in goal for the Cats. She ranks seventh in the ALC in save percentage and has averaged about seven saves per game in NU’s last three games. In the Johns Hopkins game, she had 15 saves.

New Hampshire, which topped Brown 11-8 in its last game April 3, is led by junior attack Jessie Groszkowski, who was named America East Player of the Week earlier in the season. She has 17 goals this season in only six games.

New Hampshire junior goalie Danielle Martin has not let an opposing team score in double digits all season, and senior midfielder Sue Yund had four goals against Brown.

“The goal is trying to improve each game, every time we step on the field,” Hiller said.

As NU takes the field in Durham, Hiller can only hope that the team will start out with their second-half fire, grab their third win of the season, and most importantly, have the consistent play that has so far eluded them.

Golfers head south for Bryan National Collegiate Tourney

Coming off its second-best finish of the season, the NU women’s golf team will look to continue its excellent play when it travels to Winston-Salem, N.C., today for the Bryan National Collegiate.

In its fifth year, the three-round, 54-hole, 17-team tournament will take place through Sunday.

Wake Forest and North Carolina-Greensboro are co-hosting the event. Eight of the teams competing are in the Top 25, led by No. 2 Duke.

The No. 32 Cats will also be up against Big Ten foes No. 5 Ohio State, No. 19 Purdue and No. 56 Penn State.

Led by sisters Ina and Hana Kim, NU placed fourth in a field of 20 teams at last weekend’s Women’s Collegiate Shootout in San Antonio, Texas. Ina, a freshman, tied for fourth overall, while Hana, a sophomore, tied for 10th.

Volleyball to host three teams in first spring tournament

The NU volleyball squad just couldn’t wait for its 2002 fall season to begin.

The Wildcats launch their spring season today, hosting Michigan, Notre Dame and the Chinese Olympic developmental team at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

NU faced Michigan twice in the 2001 fall season. The Cats lost a 3-2 heartbreaker to the Wolverines in Evanston on Sept. 21, and Michigan swept NU 3-0 in Ann Arbor, Mich., on Nov. 10. The latter was NU’s eighth consecutive defeat.

The Cats last played Notre Dame in 1999, losing to the Fighting Irish in three sets.

The Chinese developmental team will play NU, Illinois and Wisconsin on its international tour.