Hip hop music on table for tonight’s Senate meeting

If ASG has its way, the lyrics to Jay-Z’s “Hard Knock Life” might be required reading for a School of Music class.

Tonight senators will vote whether to ask Music administrators to add a hip hop class for non-majors, along with 10 other bills that encompass subsidizing health insurance and reducing key replacement fees.

The Senate also will elect four new officers during the meeting, which begins at 7 p.m. in Norris University Center’s Northwestern Room.

Students have had success lobbying for curriculum changes in the past, said Ebo Dawson-Andoh, ASG academic vice president. The Asian-American studies minor, which started last year after nearly 10 years of student requests, is the most recent example, he said.

“In the past, deans have been open to input about the curriculum,” he said.

Another bill would support the Graduate Student Association’s request that NU subsidize their health insurance premiums. The university increased premiums by 45 percent last spring.

Senators also will vote on whether to lobby administrators to lower the cost of replacing dorm room keys when stolen. It currently costs $125 to replace a lock and $25 to replace each key.

The bill stipulates that students still would pay for lost keys, but anyone with a police report for a stolen key would pay less or be exempted.

Senators also will elect a new speaker, rules chairman, secretary and treasurer.

Current officers said that inexperienced new officers will face challenges.

Outgoing speaker Bassel Korkor said this will be the first time he can recall that the speaker has not previously served on the Executive Board.

Secretary Angela Serranzana, who has held the position for two years, said senators seeking glory shouldn’t run for her position.

“There’s no way the secretary is a prestigious job,” said Serranzana, a Weinberg senior. “It’s definitely the low man on the totem poll. But the secretary is also the only objective member of the Executive Board and acts as a sort of mediator.”

Selection of new officers continues with campuswide elections Tuesday, April 16, for ASG president, executive vice president, student services vice president and academic vice president. Campaigning begins next week.

The Senate also will vote on:

_Ѣ adding information about senators, including their attendance records and votes on roll-call decisions, to the ASG Web site

_Ѣ creating a listserv for off-campus senators

_Ѣ asking Northwestern to offer more community service-related work study jobs

_Ѣ asking Northwestern to conduct an annual student satisfaction survey online

_Ѣ including Chicago-area events on Plan-It Purple

_Ѣ developing a faculty honor roll

_Ѣ creating an online auction for students

_Ѣ supporting the Campus Activities Office for organizing Sibs-N-Kids Weekend.