Three titles not good enough for seniors

In their four years at Northwestern, this year’s senior fencers haven’t lost a conference championship.

And they don’t plan on starting now.

For the last three years, the Wildcats (26-3) have won the Midwest Conference championship. And Saturday – in their final trip – they want to make it four in a row.

“They don’t know how to lose championships, and we hope they don’t find out,” head coach Laurie Schiller said.

The No. 6 Cats head to South Bend, Ind., as the No. 1 seed in each weapon, but only because of a technicality. NU should be vying with perennial rivals No. 3 Notre Dame and No. 4 Ohio State for the top seeds. But the Fighting Irish and Buckeyes played abbreviated schedules this year, earning fewer points for seeding.

Despite going in with the top seeds, Schiller said the Cats are far from guaranteed victory.

“What we’ve got here is three very good teams, and who’s going to win this depends on who’s up for it more at the moment,” Schiller said.

The Cats’ seniors certainly have reason to be ready for the challenge.

“Basically, you prepare for it all season, then you get there, and you work hard and try to come out on top,” senior sabreist Kate Frambach said.

That approach has worked for the Cats in the past. But this season could present some new difficulties. NU just might be a victim of its own success.

“They’re really watching us,” senior foilist Kristen Dorf said. “They’re training for us. They’re not going to let us walk over them.”

Unable to top the Cats in recent years, the Irish will be fencing on their home turf, trying to win a final title for retiring head coach Yves Auriol.

Moreover, NU has defeated and lost to both the Irish and Buckeyes this year, leaving the outcome of the championships very much up in the air.

“It’s a crapshoot between the three teams,” Schiller said. “It’s anybody’s ball game.”

Nevertheless, the Cats – led by their dominant graduating class – say they’re ready.

Several of this year’s freshmen said they knew NU had a good before they arrived, but the skill and determination of the seniors have impressed them beyond their highest expectations.

When freshman sabreist Lauren Van Gieson arrived at NU in the fall, she naturally expected the Cats to wrap up their year with a conference win. But as the season wore on, she came to respect her teammates even more.

“The team is underrated,” she said. “I didn’t realize how strong they are as fencers. I’m kind of nervous about next year because we’re losing all our seniors, and they’re amazing.”

NU will return only four starters next year, leaving their future success in the hands of younger fencers – a challenge they say they are ready for.

“I’m looking forward to it,” freshman sabreist Lauren Dunn said. “It’s going to force us to be more responsible.”

In the meantime, though, the Cats are focused on this weekend and sending the seniors out with a four-peat.

And they know it won’t be a simple task.

“It’s never been something given to us easily,” senior captain Lynn Zuckerman said. “We had to work for it every year. This year is definitely no different.”

Added senior foilist Maggie Kebrdle: “It would be a great culmination to the wonderful four years here. Winning one more together would be a great memory to have.”