NU heads home to California for 5-game tournament

Northwestern softball coach Kate Drohan is looking forward to a home-field advantage this weekend – even though her team will be playing 2,000 miles from Evanston.

The Wildcats (2-3), eight of whom hail from California, will play five games in three days at the Campbell/Cartier Tournament in San Diego.

“We’re expecting a lot of fans and support” Drohan said. “It feels like a homecoming.”

NU opened its season two weeks ago at the Louisville Slugger Tournament in Tampa, Fla., where the Cats went 2-3 against a tough slate of competition. All three losses came by a single run, and one of the wins was over then-No. 25 South Florida.

This weekend is shaping up to be even more difficult for the Cats. NU will face two Top-25 teams, No. 10 California State-Fullerton (2-4) on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. and the host, No. 23 San Diego State (4-5), Sunday at 11:30 a.m.

“We’ve always committed ourselves to playing a highly competitive winter schedule,” Drohan said.

The Cats kick off competition today at 12:30 p.m. against California-Santa Barbara (6-4), followed by a 3 p.m. matchup with Utah State (0-5). NU will battle Sacramento State (3-5) on Saturday at 5:30 p.m.

Drohan has set a goal for her team this weekend of two solid pitching performances. NU ace Lauren Schwendimann got both the wins in Tampa, pitching two complete games and making two relief appearances. She takes a 1.15 ERA into the weekend.

But as a staff, the Cats were falling behind in the count and allowing too many walks.

“Our first time out, we had a little bit of the jitters,” Drohan said. “We gave our opposing teams too much.”

On the offensive side, the Cats were led in Tampa by senior centerfielder Erin Jancic, who hit .412 and had seven RBIs.

“(Jancic) was really hot in Florida,” Drohan said. “She is really focused this year. She has been a tremendous leader, swinging a hot bat right now.”

The first-year head coach said she will use this weekend to try out some different defensive arrangements.

“My goal for the winter season is to get as many people at bats as we can, to have a good, strong lineup for the Big Ten season and then go with whoever’s hot,” she said.

Senior Gretchen Barnes, a utility catcher and infielder, will see some time at first base. Junior Robyn Pettinger, normally a shortstop, will be playing at third base. Drohan will try out sophomore Carri Leto at shortstop and is looking for senior Katie Gross to “step it up at second.”

“Our lineup is definitely not set,” Drohan said. “We’re very competitive from within. That’s really nice to see. We’re pushing each other on the field.”