For Big Ten, home is where the win is

With such an even playing field and teams beating up on each other, the Big Ten has been unpredictable this year.

Except for one thing.

Night in and night out, the home team almost always pulls off the victory in league contests. The visiting squad has come away with victories in only five of the last 39 conference games.

At 3-2 on the road, Indiana is the Big Ten’s only team with a winning record in conference away games. The Hoosiers also boast a perfect 5-0 record in league matchups at home.

“I think our fans have been a big key for us,” Indiana head coach Mike Davis said. “When you’re playing at home and you make a basket, the crowd goes wild. When the opposing team makes one, they don’t say anything. Our guys are really motivated by that.”

Minnesota, Ohio State and Wisconsin are all undefeated in home conference play, as well. Penn State, at 2-3, is the Big Ten’s only team below .500 at home.

The conference is a combined 13-46 (22 percent) in league games on the road.

And winning at home has proven to be a mark of the Big Ten’s top teams over the past decade.

Squads that have won or shared the Big Ten title since 1990 have a combined home record of 118-10 in conference games.

“Going anywhere on the road and winning is a big win, as opposed to last year,” Illinois head coach Bill Self said. “Last year, you may go to a place and say we’re going to get this one if we just come out and play. That’s not the case (this season).”

POSTSEASON POSITIONING: The pollsters are going to have an interesting time slating Big Ten teams in postseason brackets this year.

With perennial powers like Michigan State and Illinois having less-than-stellar years, their spots in March are not guaranteed. But the elite status of their programs might prove to be a determining factor.

Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo, however, is not optimistic.

“I’m not sure they’re looking at that in the same way,” Izzo said. “If I was honest about it, because we went to three Final Fours, does that make this year’s team any different? I guess it shouldn’t. I think they should look more at who we’ve played, circumstances we’re under and how we’re doing.”

And while the Spartans’ strong background may be beneficial to them, other programs’ chances may be hurt because of their weaker reputations.

Teams such as Minnesota and Wisconsin are currently high in the Big Ten standings, but they were nowhere to be found on many preseason lists as teams to watch.

Izzo said he believes the conference can still get six teams into the NCAA Tournament.

“It’s not our fault that we have more parity in our league than most leagues,” Izzo said.

YOU CAN’T GO HOME AGAIN: After Michigan State upset Illinois in Champaign a little more than a week ago, the Fighting Illini returned the favor Tuesday night.

Illinois (18-7, 7-5 Big Ten) knocked off Michigan State (14-10, 5-6) 63-61 at the Breslin Center in East Lansing, Mich. It was the Spartans’ second home loss of the season. Michigan State’s last home loss – against Wisconsin on Jan. 12 – snapped a 53-game home winning streak.

Illinois guard Frank Williams led all scorers with 22 points, while Michigan State guard Marcus Taylor returned from an injury to lead the Spartans with 16.

AND THE NOMINEES ARE: Two Big Ten players were nominated for the Naismith College Basketball Player of the Year Award.

Illinois’ Frank Williams and Indiana’s Jared Jeffries were among 20 finalists for the award. Williams was the 2001 Big Ten Player of the Year.

The Daily’s Amalie Benjamin contributed to this report.