Chicago Bulls pre-game show features NU fraternity stepping

They’ve got rhythm. They’ve got music. And now the members of Northwestern’s Alpha Phi Alpha chapter have a trophy to prove it.

Fraternity members performed their state award-winning step show at the Chicago Bulls’ pre-game show Tuesday night. The performance followed the chapter’s first-place win at the fraternity’s statewide convention this weekend.

The convention, which took place at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, brought together about 20 Alpha Phi Alpha chapters from across the state. NU also placed first in three other categories – oratory, quiz bowl and brotherhood – and won second place for chapter of the year.

“We won four out of five (categories),” said fraternity recording secretary Michael Blake. “That’s pretty much as good as it gets. No one has ever won all five.”

The Alpha Phi Alpha district director, who oversees Illinois chapters, invited NU members to perform for Greek Night at the United Center.

Blake, a Medill sophomore, said fraternity members took a picture at half-court and met Milwaukee Bucks players Ray Allen and Sam Cassell.

“It’s one of those things that you may only get one opportunity to do, and that’s why we did it,” said Victor Sears, chapter president and McCormick senior, who helped choreograph the routine.

But while the performance was a perk, fraternity members are focusing on a regional competition in April, Blake said. The men will compete against Alpha Phi Alpha chapters from seven other midwestern states. This is the first time NU has competed in step at the regional level.

“Stepping is definitely an enjoyable thing,” Blake said. “But as we showed this weekend, there’s a lot of other things that take place among the fraternity.”