City waits to grant NU a permit to fill Lagoon

The city of Evanston will wait to grant a permit that would allow NU to fill four acres of the Lagoon because aldermen and residents are concerned about the environmental hazards of the project.

At the Planning and Development committee meeting Monday night, aldermen asked James Wolinski, director of community development, to refrain from granting a permit to NU until he received absolute assurance from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency that it has approved NU’s proposal to fill in part of the Lagoon and build a parking lot and four to five buildings.

NU must obtain a building permit from the city to drive steel sheeting into the Lagoon to separate it from the filled-in area. If the city grants the permit, NU will have to pay between $25,000 to $30,000 for the permit.

Wolinski said he had a copy of the permit granted by the IEPA, but aldermen still were concerned. The permit allows NU officials to fill in up to five acres of the Lagoon instead of the proposed four.

Alan Cubbage, vice president for university relations, said Monday that NU already has received a permit from IEPA.

Ald. Melissa Wynne (3rd) cited The Daily’s Feb. 11. article about the Lagoon during the committee’s discussion. The article quoted an IEPA official who said the organization still needs to examine whether the Lagoon qualifies as part of Lake Michigan. She said she was concerned about environmental hazards such as water run-off from the parking lot.

“I think we should really slow down,” she said.

Wolinski said it will take at least three or four days to confirm that IEPA approved the project. He said that once he receives assurance, he will grant NU a permit without bringing it to the committee’s attention again.

Ald. Arthur Newman (1st) said it would be illegal to withhold the permit unless it discovers the IEPA does not approve the project. He said if the city does not grant the permit it could face a legal response from NU.

Beyond environmental concerns, aldermen and residents were concerned that the heavy trucks bringing material to fill in the Lagoon may damage city streets. Ald. Joseph Kent (5th) said he was concerned about what routes trucks will take.

The discussion between NU and the city has not addressed truck routes yet, Wolinski said.

When the Lakefill was originally proposed in 1960, NU made an agreement with the city to allow the sand to be brought in on barges to prevent trucks from damaging the streets. The agreement, signed by the city manager and former vice president and business manager William S. Kerr, said NU would “pay for the maintenance, replacement or repair of any streets, sidewalks, and curbs.”

Cubbage said the contractor would follow all city ordinances concerning truck weight.

Resident Gerald Gordon said the city should investigate NU’s plan further and that the IEPA should have held a hearing about the permit.

“I believe that the Lagoon is a very important aesthetic part of the city,” Gordon said.

Newman said NU should not hold land-use meetings in secret, and that it should stay in better communication with the community.

“I share concerns with members of the staff and student body,” Newman said.

Wolinski said he was the first city official to hear about NU’s proposal. NU announced its plans for the Lagoon in a Feb. 6 press release.

“Development plans by the university are of a keen interest through the entire community,” Newman said.