New coalition to lobby for more student input

A group of students concerned about the closed-door deliberations behind the planned construction on four acres of the Lagoon have formed a new organization calling for a more open dialogue between students and administrators.

Eleven members of the Northwestern Open Campus Coalition had their first meeting Sunday and hope to coordinate student opinion on the Lagoon construction before work begins March 1, said organizer Neil Helbraun.

“Our first goal is to delay construction pending student input in the process and gain access to information on how the university came to this decision,” said Helbraun, a Weinberg senior. “Secondly, we hope to receive permanent student representation on the Board of Trustees and university planning committees to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

The group has not decided how to approach administrators or whether to protest the decision to fill in one-fifth of the Lagoon, which administrators said will create space for future buildings, parking spots and a pedestrian mall.

All students, faculty and staff members may join, Helbraun said. The group also has created a Web site (www.savethelagoon.com) that includes their mission statement.

At a meeting tonight, group members will decide on a more concrete course of action for the upcoming weeks, he said.

“We want to have one forum where everyone can come together and decide collectively how we should react,” Helbraun said. “The members of our committee are extremely positive and expect that progress can be made through our joint efforts.”

Group members emphasized that their purpose is more than simply preserving the Lagoon. Spokesman Evan North said the coalition hopes to persuade administrators to fully disclose any situation affecting students in the future.

“The (Lagoon) issue is basically a galvanizing point for us,” said North, a Medill sophomore. “There’s definitely a larger issue we are looking at, which is campus communication and the lack of transparency on the part of the administration.”

North said the coalition will work to accomplish its objectives as quickly as possible.

“Public opinion is in our favor right now,” he said. “(Improved communication between students and administrators) is a matter that most students agree needs to be addressed. Our group is trying to discuss their concerns in an organized fashion.”

Group member Rachel Lopez said she hopes students mobilize around their disapproval of Lagoon construction and demand stronger accountability in the future.

“This is a good way to start a discourse with the administration and ultimately gain more access to their decisions,” said Lopez, a Weinberg junior. “We hope we can build relationships that will give students more of a voice and ensure they feel a connection with the university.”