Steaming up Shanley

It’s sexy. It’s steamy. It’s a story of one eccentric film director and his 21 women. It’s “Nine.”

Filled with lacy lingerie and myriad mistresses, “Nine,” Wave’s winter musical, brings to life the story of 40-year-old Italian film director Guido Contini as he struggles to come to grips with the traumatic sexual experiences of his childhood and discover his true identity.

Set in Venice and based on the film “8 1/2” by Italian director Federico Fellini, the show’s haunting musical numbers transport the audience into the twisted and confused mind of Contini as he tries to regain his prestige while spiraling into madness.

Although advertised as a sexual extravaganza of sultry ballads and provocative dance numbers, the show has a message for college students, said Weinberg junior Doug Peck, the show’s director.

Contini, a child protege, struggles to save his career while finding his true identity. The impossibility for Contini to have it all is a familiar problem for students, who are often caught trying to balance academics and extracurricular activities, Peck said.

Peck said he expects people to criticize his adaptation of the story because of his decision to cut out portions of the show.

“Some people are going to hate it, which I fully look forward to,” he said. “… but I hope the audience will leave the show with a greater appreciation of the power of music theater.

“‘Nine’ really shows, I think, where the musical theater came from,” he said. “Not only that, but it’s one of the loudest and most fun productions and it features very attractive people in very little clothing.”

Speech junior Christine Mild, who plays Contini’s wife Luisa, a middle-aged woman who watches her husband seduce other women, said the large number of strong female roles in the show also adds to the production by giving female actresses a chance to shine in a quarter heavy with performing opportunities for males.

“People should come see the show because, well, I go to football games and like those,” Mild said. “To see people our age who are talented is enjoyable.” nyou