Dorm officers who have abused their power will not be evicted

Dorm officers who abuse their protected housing privileges will not be evicted from housing after the Residence Hall Association rejected a proposed amendment.

The proposal was intended to evict dorm government officers who run for office to exploit the promise of guaranteed housing. The amendment, which needed a two-thirds majority to pass, received only seven out of 17 votes Wednesday.

“It’s unfortunate,” said RHA member Matthew Turk, a Weinberg senior who voted for the bill. “It would have given us a strong preventative method of ensuring the housing system isn’t abused, which is, regrettably, an active concern.”

RHA President Grant Pauly agreed with Turk.

“(The amendment) is needed to help deter those few individuals who abuse the system and run for office just for the position,” said Pauly, a McCormick sophomore.

All members of residence hall governments are guaranteed housing in the dorm they represent. A dorm officer can continue living in the same room even if ousted later from office.

If the amendment had passed, officers already impeached by their dorm governments would have been brought before an RHA investigative committee. The committee would have then decided whether the impeached representative also abused his protected housing privileges.

If found to have violated guidelines, the officer would have been evicted to another dorm and required to pay the housing costs associated with that new dorm.

RHA Social Chairman T.J. Tomaso, author of the amendment, said although he was surprised at the lack of support for the proposal, he understood the voters’ worries.

“People were concerned that (the amendment) could be used to abuse other officers,” said Tomaso, a Weinberg sophomore, referring to a scenario in which a hall officer could be unfairly kicked out by other officers. “Maybe they didn’t fully appreciate the checks and balances that were proposed in the bill.”

But many RHA members who voted against the amendment, including 1835 Hinman President Frances Grund, said it was too harsh.

“The amendment was too severe of a consequence for someone who may have extenuating circumstances for not doing an adequate job,” said Grund, a Medill sophomore. “It was unfair to the roommates of evicted officers.”

Pauly said he still considers forming a disciplinary policy for ousted officers an important matter.

“I do not plan to end my term leaving this issue up in the air,” he said.