Letters to the editor

Sorority girls’ priorities are severely misplaced

“Breathing isn’t something I’ve done since Thurday. (Kappa Alpha Theta) basically meant the world to me.” After reading this quotation on yesterday’s front page from a new freshman pledge, we were very perturbed, if not a bit frightened. It’s good to know that given the apathetic nature of our campus, there is still something that can cause such overwhelming emotional and physical distress. “All the girls want to vomit because it’s like awaiting an acceptance letter,” said another freshman pledge in the article. We find it offensive that girls would compare being asked into a social club with being admitted to a prestigious institution. Are they really anything alike? We certainly don’t think so. We won’t even begin to analyze our feeling towards the fight we overheard between two bickering sorority girls last night at the Deuce pertaining to whose house was superior. Perhaps everyone would be better served to clean up all the vomit so that emotional stability can be achieved by the time Gone Greek Night rolls around. How could a Greek affiliation ever “mean the world” to someone?

Blayr Austin

Speech senior

Martin Block

Speech senior

More interesting columns would draw more letters

I have a solution about how to get some letters into the Forum page: Hire people with talent to write columns.

I know that inanity is the mode of fashion amongst Forum columnists (take Alexander P. Sherman’s, “I think it’s great that SPAC is open during Rush Week,” as a wonderful example), but if you found people who wrote about issues that students actually cared about (novel idea, I know), you might find that we would actually respond to them.

I mean, really, what are we supposed to say about a gated community in Rosemont? Am I supposed to say, “whoopdefriggindo! Racism really does exist!”? Or when someone writes a completely absurd sentence like, “I seek the space in between the made-up differences that separate campus,” do I really need to write a letter asking, “does this guy practice being this pretentious?” (Don’t bother pointing out the irony that I just asked the question in a letter to the editor.)

Really. What kind of response do you expect from such underwhelming columns? Floods of letters? Northwestern students have a pretty strong stomach for dealing with mediocrity. That should be obvious enough. We’ve filled the Forum letter section zealously until now. (To be fair, there have been a handful of great writers, but they are definitely a minority). But when you don’t give us anything worthwhile to respond to, what do you expect?

Eugene Park

Weinberg senior

The Daily’s coverage of Greek system is lacking

I was shocked to see that the headline quote and main photo in Wednesday’s Daily article about rush promoted a single house on campus as opposed to promoting the Greek system as a whole.

Rush Week, and especially the weeks that follow, are a celebration of the entire Greek community, not just a celebration of one or two houses. I have often heard students complain that Northwestern doesn’t have a strong sense of community. Throughout my three years at NU, I have watched Greek houses break down stereotypes and barriers and attempt to truly become a community. Spotlighting quotes or photos that may seem to promote one house over another does not help to build this community.

Each house on this campus has something valuable to offer. The diversity of the houses on campus is what makes our Greek community such a success. In my opinion, The Daily needs to make a better effort to represent diversity in the articles about Greek life.

Gillian Schauer

Speech junior

Medill Placement Office working with students

Thank you for your Jan. 9 article regarding students serving on faculty committees at Medill.

It is important to point out that of the 15 students who have been named to committees at Medill, seven have been assigned to the school’s Placement Committee. This is not by accident. In this current tight economy, the Medill Placement Office is keenly aware of the difficulty students face in obtaining jobs. Thus, the Placement Committee welcomes the involvement of students and looks forward to vigorous discussions as well as suggestions for improving placement services befitting the nation’s top journalism school.

In the meantime, those students who complain that the Placement Office is not helping them find internships or full-time jobs, only need ask themselves if they are using the office and its resources to their full potential.

Bonnie Bell

Director of placement

Medill School of Journalism