Low interest spurs NUIT to cancel online computer workshops

Learning new computer skills may be more difficult for Northwestern students and faculty members when NU Information Technology discontinues its free online tutorial service on Jan. 31.

Infrequent usage prompted NUIT to end its Computer-Based Training (CBT) program after offering the service for nearly three years. The tutorials included topics on word processing, e-mail, databases and programming.

“We saw this as something that could benefit staff and students,” said Tom Board, director of technology support services. “As time rolled on, it seemed to be less of a fit. It never got the job done that we wanted it to get done.”

CBT was “essentially a three-year experiment” to serve the university’s demand for computer training, Board said. The tutorials are self-paced online workshops that teach basic computer skills without requiring special software. The programs include skills tests to check progress and take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete.

Board said NUIT paid tens of thousands of dollars in licensing fees to provide the tutorials for the NU network. About a thousand people explored the site when it was first created but only a few hundred visitors actually completed tutorial courses, Board said.

“A lot of people were curious, maybe stepped inside, but very few people ended up pursuing the instructional material to its extent,” Board said.

Although a low number of people used the tutorials, Board said there was a fairly even distribution of students and faculty across NU’s schools. Tutorials for Microsoft applications, such as Access or Excel, were the most popular, he said.

McCormick junior Josh Anon said the tutorials he used for UNIX and Oracle8 did not help improve his computer skills.

“The knowledge was presented in a way that it didn’t stick,” he said.

Weinberg junior Paul Grinstead said he tried to use the tutorials on his employer’s recommendation but found it easier to learn from friends or other Web sites.

“It was just too hard to get set up,” Grinstead said.

Board said NUIT will investigate other possibilities for computer training, but the department does not have the resources to create its own tutorials.

“We’re looking at what kind of content is available and how it is delivered,” Board said.

Any future programs also would be Web-based, but Board said nothing would be finalized for at least a year.

“Basically, part of our strategy is to use your Web browser as sort of your interface,” he said. “We think the network is a great way for students to access programs. We would rather not require you to have a particular software on your computer.”

For those still interested in training, NUIT has links to a few other local tutorials on specific software available through its Web site. NUIT staff members also teach classes, but the current offerings require fees and are focused mostly on developing Web pages or graphics.

Until NUIT finds a replacement for CBT, Board suggested searching the Web for other free tutorials or using instructional manuals. In the meantime, NU faculty and students will have full access to tutorials at www.cbt.nwu.edu until midnight Jan. 31.