Record numbers of NU’s women register for sorority rush

A record number of pre-registered women will begin the week-long sorority rush process tonight, hoping to meet new people and make good impressions.

By Tuesday night’s mandatory information session, 453 women had pre-registered for rush, up from 150 women at the same time last year, said Emily Schultz, Panhellenic Association vice president of membership.

Schultz said about 580 women will take part in the traditional opening ceremony. Last year 550 women participated, she said.

“This year we focused on public relations the entire fall,” said Schultz, a Speech senior. “Northwestern has a unique Greek system. People realize how great it is Fall Quarter after they get a chance to settle in.”

Higher pre-registration numbers resulted in part from the “Greek CD” that all freshmen received during New Student Week and contained information about the Greek system, Schultz said.

Every sorority house sponsored a fireside during Fall Quarter, Schultz said. The firesides are part of an emerging trend in the Greek system that counterbalances community service and academics with socializing, she said.

Winter Rush for the sororities is a system of “mutual selection” beginning Thursday and Friday when women visit all 12 houses, Assistant Director for Greek Affairs Sean Thomas said. By the end of rush, the women will narrow their lists to three final houses and can be officially accepted by receiving a “bid” on Tuesday.

Sorority life attracted Speech freshman Chrysandra Halstead when she took a tour of the houses during New Student Week. The 30 arduous hours of socializing won’t keep her from rush, Halstead said at Tuesday’s information session.

“First quarter, most of the people you meet are in your dorm or major,” Halstead said. “(Rush) has a much wider variety of (people) that you wouldn’t talk to on a regular basis. Even if I didn’t join a sorority, I’d still want to rush just to meet people.”

But not every woman is a fan of the rush process. Weinberg freshman Katie James said she wished she could be enjoying free dinners and games at the fraternities.

“I’m very jealous of the boys at this point,” James said.