Troupis elected IFC president, hopes to end freshman freeze

Speech junior James Troupis was elected Interfraternity Council president Thursday night at a meeting of fraternity presidents.

Troupis, president of Chi Phi fraternity, will take over for current IFC President Phil Ordway at the beginning of Winter Quarter.

Troupis said he has a “laundry list” of things he wants to change during his tenure, including eliminating freshman freeze, a monthlong period at the beginning of the academic year in which freshmen can’t enter fraternity houses.

“The principle behind (the freeze) is that something bad is happening in the fraternities, that’s why freshmen can’t come,” he said. “We have nothing to hide.”

Troupis also said he wants IFC to take a larger role in disciplining fraternity members.

“We should be handling a broader scope of issues as opposed to putting more burden on administrators,” he said.

He said he also would like to increase the number of co-sponsored parties between fraternities, work to fill all of the Associated Student Government fraternity senator positions, create IFC scholarships for incoming freshmen or members of the Greek community and continue IFC’s drive to improve campus safety.

Troupis said IFC is currently strong under Ordway’s leadership, but he wants to improve on fraternities’ philanthropic endeavors.

“There are so many little things that can make a big difference,” he said.

Before becoming Chi Phi president, Troupis was the fraternity’s rush chairman and Greek contact. He said his fraternity has fostered the best friendships he’s made at Northwestern.

“The Greek community has so much to offer, I wanted to take control of what is one of the most amazing experiences you can have at NU,” he said.

Troupis defeated Phi Kappa Psi member Mike Boyne, Delta Chi member Pete Conrad and Zeta Beta Tau member Lyon Tu, whose nickname “Deuce” has been copied by nine fraternity members on their directory listing.