Stuckey soars in season finale, tallies highest mark for Wildcats rusher in Big Ten contest

CHAMPAIGN – Randy Walker was happy to answer at least one question after Thursday’s game.

“Can you comment on the performance by Torri Stuckey?”

The fourth-string running back rushed for 127 yards — more than any Wildcats ballcarrier has tallied since starter Damien Anderson posted 189 at Duke on Sept. 22. Thursday was Stuckey’s second start since injuries sidelined Anderson, backup Kevin Lawrence, third-stringer Noah Herron and fullback Gilles Lezi.

“I love practicing like I’m fourth-string, because when you practice like that you always go hard and you always fight for the spot,” Stuckey said.

Said Walker: “The misfortune we had at tailback is going to pay dividends for him.”

Walker admitted that he was worried about Stuckey after his late-game fumble against Bowling Green set up the Falcons’ game-winning drive on Nov. 17. Walker said he kept tabs on Stuckey, talking to his assistants in order to avoid putting the true sophomore under more pressure.

“I didn’t want him overthinking things,” Walker said.

Walker said Stuckey’s ability to bounce back from the Bowling Green loss — as well as several preseason injuries — set him apart among the Cats.

“What a great mental toughness he has,” Walker said.

MAKING HIS MARK: Illinois quarterback Kurt Kittner had more at stake on Thanksgiving than a share of the Big Ten championship trophy. His personal accomplishments pale in comparison to the team’s league title, but the senior picked up a pretty impressive mark of his own in his last game at Memorial Stadium.

The 34-28 win over Northwestern was the Fighting Illini’s 24th victory in the last four seasons — all of which have come with Kittner lined up under center.

Those 24 victories make Kittner the winningest quarterback in Illinois history.

“That’s a record I’m really going to cherish,” said Kittner, who arrived in Champaign a year after the team finished 0-11. “I’m really proud of the way we were able to turn things around here.”

And as if that weren’t enough, Kittner’s 33 of 43 passing for 387 yards and four touchdowns also earned him Big Ten offensive player of the week honors.

POHL POSITION: Five freshmen started on defense for the Cats against Illinois, the latest addition being linebacker Dan Pohlman.

The redshirt freshman filled in for senior Billy Silva, whose season — and college career — was cut short last week against Bowling Green when he injured a knee. Outside linebacker Kevin Bentley moved to the middle to fill Silva’s slot, while Pohlman entered the game on the outside.

Pohlman finished the game with nine tackles, fourth on the team behind Bentley, cornerback Raheem Covington and fellow freshman Marvin Ward.

“He did a lot of positive things today, ” Bentley said of Pohlman. “The linebacker corps as a unit is going to be pretty good next year.”

WARM WORDS: “I’ll just go ahead and say it: I have been coaching football for 26 years and he’s the best I’ve ever coached,” Walker said.

It isn’t hard to figure out whom he’s talking about.

Quarterback Zak Kustok passed for 266 yards and rushed for 32 yards against Illinois on Thursday — just five days after he had set a new school record with a jaw-dropping 532 total yards against Bowling Green.

Kustok had a few stumbles in his senior season — including some on Thursday. But Walker attributed the Cats’ success to an immeasurable statistic — leadership.

“He isn’t the best player out there,” Walker said. “But I always say whatever ‘it’ is, he’s got it.”

And this year, he had it when it mattered. Without Anderson in the backfield, Walker said the Cats’ offense relied only on Kustok — and he delivered.

“He carried this football team,” Walker said.

INCHES TO GO: No player on Illinois rushed for more than 100 yards. All of the Illini’s touchdowns came through the air, courtesy of Kittner. … All of NU’s touchdowns also came on passes, courtesy of Kustok. … Wideout Jon Schweighardt was back on Thursday and scored a touchdown after two weeks of absence. … Cornerback Marvin Ward had a career-high 13 tackles.