Fearless Forecasters

Cain and Abel. Hamilton and Jefferson. Grant and Lee. Fischer and Spassky.

And now — Rittenberg and Kasses.

After eight weeks of a contentious Forecasting struggle, the pretenders have been eliminated and only two remain. Trailing by one measly game with two weeks to go, I’m primed to take command of this operation for good.

Rittenberg’s gotten more comfortable in his spot than your average couch potato would in his easy chair. And it’s about time that someone dislodge those hindquarters from the recliner.

And what better week to do so than this?

You’ll note that the selected games of the week focus on one thing and one thing only — bitter hatred. Last week, Rittenberg talked about how I hugged him in joy, and how it was pure hell for him. Now I’m angry, and I’m ready to take out my anti-hug sentiments in the standings.

So this penultimate slate features nothing but rivalry games, where the winner gets big-time bragging rights for the year to come. And after this week I plan on having plenty to shout about.

First, I might as well dispose of the two hapless peons in this little contest of ours. Katz and Ebersole long ago realized that they were playing second fiddle to the real Tussle of the Titans, and they’ve decided to make utterly foolish picks in an attempt to catch up.

They go out and pick Wazzou on a whim, failing to realize that Washington can’t be beat at Husky Stadium. They watch Northwestern get blown out by 43 points, then pick them to win the next week.

Guys — c’mon. Quit while you’re behind.

And now for the real opponent, the man who’s been keeping my seat warm while I go grab a bite to eat and a wool winter hat to prepare for the view on top.

It’s fitting that Rittenberg will fall hardest in something that left-coasters like to refer to as “The Big Game.” Gotta love a Berkeley native sticking with his Bears, especially when a Forecasting title is on the line and the smarter, safer Stanford pick is there for the taking.

Maybe next year he’ll be fortunate enough to root for a Cal team that wins a game, but for now I’ll take the trophy.

In rivalry week, any win is a good one.