Linebackers being asked to do more

Things are changing for Big Ten defenses.

Gone are the days of linebackers who boast just brute strength, and in are the days of versatile, more athletic linebackers.

“That position has changed over the years,” Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez said. “Several years ago, everyone wanted a big, physical linebacker. As offenses have changed, you put a lot more stress on the linebacker where he has to adjust.”

Instead of remaining stationary in the middle of the field to prevent teams from pounding the football up the gut, most Big Ten linebackers are now asked to shuffle across the gridiron.

“Linebackers have to do a lot more than they used to,” Indiana head coach Cam Cameron said. “They have to be smart. Those guys are the guys that quarterback your defense. He’s got to be able to defend the pass from sideline to sideline and defend the run from sideline to sideline.”

The conference definitely has its fair share of agile linebackers. Wisconsin’s Nick Greisen, Michigan’s Larry Foote and Michigan State’s Josh Thornhill have all made names for themselves with impressive 2001 campaigns. Greisen currently leads the Big Ten in tackles.

These athletic linebackers are almost a necessity in the Big Ten because of the varying offensive schemes. While a team might face Northwestern’s spread offense one week, it might have to turn around and play against Penn State’s three-back set the following week, or Ohio State’s two-tight end formation after that.

Because of these vastly different looks, linebackers must be flexible.

“It just seems like the way the offenses are, there’s a new premium on athletic linebackers,” Purdue head coach Joe Tiller said.

Bronze pigs and brass spittoons: By beating Michigan State last weekend, Indiana took control of a 51-year-old tradition.

The Hoosiers won the Old Brass Spittoon, a trophy given to the winner of the Indiana-Michigan State game each year. It’s one of many trophy traditions in the Big Ten.

“I think every situation is different … when they understand the history,” Cameron said. “I think the rivalry of the Brass Spittoon is enhanced a little bit by some of the things that have taken place. When you go back over time and something happens, that fires people up.”

While the trophy games don’t have anything to do with the a team’s overall standing, they have served as fun traditions between many schools and sometimes provide a little added motivation.

The Brass Spittoon was started by the junior and senior classes and student council at Michigan State in 1950. Legend has it that the spittoon that is actually exchanged between the two teams is more than 100 years old.

This weekend, Iowa and Minnesota square off for the Floyd of Rosedale — a bronze statue of a pig. Other trophies include the Tomahawk, which is awarded to the winner of the NU-Illinois game, and the Paul Bunyan Trophy, which goes to the winner of the coveted Michigan-Michigan State rivalry.

“We play several trophy games a year and all of them are important,” Michigan State head coach Bobby Williams said. “You have these games where there is something that has some significance to it.”

Randle El for MVP: At season’s end, Big Ten coaches will gather to vote on the league’s Most Valuable Player.

For some, the choice won’t be difficult.

“It’s a no-brainer — if there’s a better football player in college football than (Antwaan) Randle El, then show me,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said, referring to Indiana’s quarterback.

Most coaches agree that a team’s record won’t factor too much into their decision.

“(It’s) the guy that has had the most to do with the success of any one particular team,” Penn State head coach Joe Paterno said.

Body 2 ———————————————————————–

Linebackers being asked to do more

Body 3 ———————————————————————–

Trophy games provide motivation; Randle El ‘a no-brainer’ for MVP