NU general counsel promotes Graham to deputy position

Stephanie Graham has been promoted from associate to deputy general counsel as part of the continued reshuffling in Northwestern’s Office of General Counsel after Michael Weston’s Aug. 31 departure.

Weston, who served as general counsel for 11 years, was replaced by Tom Cline, who previously served as the second-in-command deputy counsel. Graham now will fill that role.

More changes are coming to the general counsel’s office. Although currently it has only four lawyers on staff, Cline said that number will increase to five in December with the hiring of a new associate.

Cline said the office is doing well despite the need to operate with one fewer lawyer than usual.

“It has been a very busy fall,” he said. “We have a number of very large matters going on right now so it has been hectic and challenging. But we are doing fine.”

Cline said Graham, who joined NU in 1993, has a complete picture of how the office operates.

“I was looking for someone who understands the university and its mission, and Stephanie has a great breadth and depth of experience,” Cline said. “She’s been here for eight years, making her the senior-most lawyer in terms of time here after me.”

As associate general counsel, Graham was responsible for staff and faculty employment issues, litigation management, benefits, scientific misconduct, conflict of interest and contracts. As deputy, she gradually will take on more administrative duties, Cline said.

“The deputy is the point person when the general counsel is not around,” he said. “I foresee her assisting me in developing long-range goals for the office and undertaking some budget planning in addition to her legal work.”

Graham said she was pleased to be promoted from within the office, rather than someone from outside being hired as deputy after a search.

“I hope the promotions of both Tom and myself show the strength of our office,” Graham said. “I am very happy here. I love my job and feel I serve a fulfilling client in the university.”

In addition to her legal work, Graham also teaches a graduate course, Legal Issues in Higher Education, in the School of Education and Social Policy. She received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Illinois and a law degree from the University of Chicago.