Paterno gets record behind freshman QB Mills

There’s no disputing it now – Joe Paterno is No. 1. And even the humble Penn State head coach is no longer denying the magnitude of what he’s accomplished.

“You never think it’s going to be a big deal until it happens like this, with this many people,” Paterno said Saturday after his Nittany Lions rallied from an 18-point deficit to beat Ohio State, 29-27, and give Paterno the all-time Division I-A career wins record with 324. “It’s just hard to describe. But I’m a very, very lucky guy to be at an institution such as Penn State with all these fans.”

After starting the season 0-4, Paterno has rallied his Nittany Lions, who have won two straight. A large part of Penn State’s success can be credited to freshman quarterback Zack Mills.

The rookie came in on Penn State’s second possession and finished the game 17 of 32 for 280 yards and two touchdown strikes. Mills’ passing total broke his own school record for a freshman. He also ran for 138 yards and a touchdown.

Michigan 32, Iowa 26: The Wolverines found themselves in a 20-7 hole in the third quarter of Saturday’s game against Iowa before their big-play offense finally woke up to push them past the Hawkeyes in Iowa City, Iowa.

Michigan tailback Chris Perry scored on a 3-yard scamper and wideout Marquise Walker tied the game with a stellar, one-handed, 6-yard touchdown grab. The Wolverines then took the lead for good when quarterback John Navarre hit Shawn Thompson for a 13-yard touchdown with eight-and-a-half minutes remaining in the game.

Michigan kicker Hayden Epstein tacked on a 51-yard field goal.

The Michigan offense also used some trickery to open up the game. On 3rd-and-8 at the Iowa 21 in the third quarter, Michigan snapped the ball to tailback Walter Cross, who stuck the ball between B.J. Askew’s legs. With everyone else going right, Askew rambled 14 yards to the left for a first down.

Michigan put forth a strong defensive effort as well, forcing three Hawkeyes turnovers. Iowa quarterback Kyle McCann, one of the league’s top passers entering Saturday’s contest, finished just 15-for-26 for 169 yards and threw two interceptions.

Michigan State 42, Wisconsin 28: Michigan State got an effective one-two punch from quarterback Jeff Smoker and tailback T.J. Duckett in its victory over Wisconsin on Saturday.

Smoker finished the game 13-for-20 for 306 yards with three touchdown passes, while Duckett ran for 186 yards and a pair of scores.

Spartans’ sophomore wideout Charles Rogers had a career day as well. He caught five passes for 206 yards, including an 87-yard touchdown catch.

Wisconsin’s defense has been less-than-impressive in its last two home games. The Badgers have given up a total of 105 points in their two losses.

Minnesota 66, Murray State 10: Minnesota recorded its highest point total since 1937 in Saturday’s trouncing of Murray State at home.

Golden Gophers quarterback Asad Abdul-Khaliq led the way, completing 14 of 17 passes for 186 yards and three touchdowns. Minnesota tailback Tellis Redmon rushed for 108 yards and two touchdowns.

Travis Cole, who has been sharing time at quarterback with Abdul-Khaliq, was 2-for-2 for 79 yards — throwing his first touchdown pass of the season. He hit Antoine Burns on a 65-yard pass in the fourth quarter.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.