Cats will face tough opponent in Badgers

The Northwestern volleyball team is hoping the third time is a charm as it heads into the last of three consecutive matches against ranked Big Ten teams. The Wildcats face No. 6 Wisconsin tonight at 7 p.m. after dropping their previous two matches to No. 11 Ohio State and No. 10 Penn State last weekend.

NU will play in the McGaw Fieldhouse for the third consecutive match, which is part of a four-game homestand that will end Friday against Purdue. Welsh-Ryan Arena’s floor is being renovated after an August flood ruined the hardwood.

The Badgers (12-2, 6-0) beat both Ohio State (13-1, 5-1) and Penn State handily last weekend in three straight games. The Cats won their first game against the Buckeyes but went on to lose the next three and the match against Ohio State on Friday.

On Saturday, Penn State (10-3, 4-2) swept NU (6-6, 3-3 Big Ten) in three lightning-quick games.

“Wisconsin is a great team, so it would be absolutely amazing to beat them,” freshman setter Drew Robertson said. “But we’re just looking to have a close match against them.”

The Badgers lead the conference in kills, assists and digs. The Wildcats, who cited ball control as their biggest weakness last weekend, have focused on passing in their two practices since then.

“It’s such a quick week,” junior middle blocker Sarah Ballog said. “It’s hard to believe Wednesday is already here. We’ve just worked on passing and all the fundamentals that we need to strengthen our game with (after) last weekend.”

The Cats will most likely change their serve-receive lineup to further remedy the passing problems, Robertson said.

Wisconsin’s offense is directed by senior All-American setter Lizzy Fitzgerald, the reigning Big Ten Player of the Week. Fitzgerald leads the nation in assists, averaging 14.4 per game.

“It’s going to be a good matchup,” Robertson said. “She definitely has the ability to open up her hitters, so it should be a challenge.”

NU middle blockers Erika Lange and Sarah Ballog are first and third individually in Big Ten blocking, and NU leads the Big Ten at the net. The Cats’ blockers should have their hands full with Wisconsin’s second All-American, middle blocker Sherisa Livingston.

NU’s front line has studied Wisconsin’s hitting patterns in an attempt to anticipate Livingston’s offensive game and try to make her less of a factor.

As a result, Robertson’s role on the court will be slightly altered in tonight’s match. At setter she often goes up for blocks with the middle blockers, but will only soft block tonight against Livingston.

“Otherwise, I won’t be effective at all,” she said.

While Livingston is a definite threat, the Cats don’t see the Badgers as a team that is out of their league.

“(The Badgers) have strong players across the board,” Ballog said. “They have the two key players (Livingston and Fitzgerald), but everyone else we match up to really well.”