A&O to bring comedians Black and Cross to campus

A&O Productions is bringing comedians David Cross and Lewis Black to campus Oct. 4 for a free two-hour stand-up comedy show.

The comedians will perform at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall, with doors opening at 6:45 p.m. Tickets will be available at Norris University Center’s box office this morning, and students will be able to pick up four tickets per WildCARD, with a limit of five WildCARDs per person.

Jonathan Berman, A&O’s director of speakers and special events, said the two indie comics will have students clutching their sides.

“Even though these aren’t two of the bigger name comics out there, they are hilarious, and everyone is going to love them,” said Berman, a Weinberg junior.

Berman said Black and Cross have made many campus tours separately, but this is the first time they will be performing together. Cross will perform first, followed by Black.

Cross, 37, starred along with Bob Odenkirk in HBO’s “The Mr. Show,” an Emmy-nominated sketch comedy show that ran from 1995 to 1998. The show put a twist on sketch comedy shows such as “Saturday Night Live” and “Kids in the Hall” by connecting all the skits with thematic and plot elements. Cross was nominated for three Emmys while with the show, and won one in 1993 for writing “The Ben Stiller Show.”

Black, 49, has made his largest mark as a commentator on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” a faux-news program. Black has an intense, sarcastic style of humor that is characterized by wild gesticulating and saliva spraying from his mouth.

A&O is spending about $40,000 on the event, including a $35,000 honorarium to the comedians. The Student Activities Finance Board granted A&O the money during Spring Quarter funding.

The stand-up show is A&O’s only event for Fall Quarter. SAFB denied requests for two A&O concerts this quarter and another in Winter Quarter. The group’s next event will be a $117,000 concert in Spring Quarter.