Employee charged in assault on 14-year-old

A 28-year-old Rice Child and Family Center employee from Chicago was arrested Sept. 14 and charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault to a minor, police said.

Police officials took Lovell Spencer, of the 6000 block of South St. Lawrence Street into custody, concluding a weeklong investigation that began Sept. 7 when the assault first was reported, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of the Evanston Police Department.

Spencer worked at the Rice Child and Family Center, 1101 Washington St., a residential center for children ages 5 to 14 who have suffered severe emotional and physical abuse. The center is maintained by the Children’s Home and Aid Society of Illinois, a non-profit organization. Evanston/Skokie District 65 provides the center with educational services.

The victim, a 14-year-old girl, was living at the center when the incident occurred, Perry said.

The center placed Spencer on administrative leave when the girl told a female staff member that she had been sexually assaulted, said Dr. Les Inch, the center’s vice president.

“When the youth disclosed the alleged abuse, it was immediately called into the state hotline and a report was made,” Inch said.

According to Inch, Spencer had worked at the center since mid-May.

“Any employee that works here is required to go through fingerprinting and background checks, and there were clearances (for Spencer) in each of those areas,” he said.

According to Illinois Criminal Code, a first conviction for aggravated criminal sexual assault, which is a Class X felony, can carry six to 30 years mandatory incarceration with possible extended terms of 15 years to life.

In light of the incident, Inch said the center will review its policies and consider whether they need revising. The center’s staff still ensures the safety of all the children in its care, he said.

“We’re very concerned with the safety and protection of the children, and we do anything that we can to ensure that they’re safe,” Inch said.