Sports briefs

Burden just 4 matches from U.S. Women’s Amateur title

Northwestern junior Elizabeth Burden advanced to the round of 16 in the U.S. Women’s Amateur Wednesday with a 3-and-2 victory over Christina Kim.

One of the Wildcats’ best players, the Lake Bluff native now has just four matches standing between her and a championship. Burden defeated Natalie Easterly on Tuesday in the first round, winning that match by the same 3-and-2 cushion.

Burden will face Joo-Mi Kim today in the round of 16, with a chance to advance to the quarterfinals.

The matches are being played at the Flint Hills National Golf Club in Wichita, Kan.

Burden also had to go through a two-round stroke-play qualifier, in which she shot a 149, to make the field of 64. NU had two other golfers attempt to qualify, but both senior Emily Gilley and incoming freshman Ina Kim missed the cut.

Gilley notches second straight win in Illinois Women’s Open

NU senior Emily Gilley didn’t qualify for the U.S. Women’s Amateur field, but she still had a successful week, defending her title in the Illinois Women’s Open at the Mistwood Golf Club in Romeoville on Saturday.

Gilley went wire-to-wire in the victory, carding a 7-over 223 in the three-round tournament. She opened a four-stroke lead following the first round and won by the same margin despite seeing her lead down to one shot nearly halfway into the final round. Beth Hermes, whose sister, Christie, also plays for NU, had the best shot at Gilley but was unable to topple the Cats’ senior when she settled down on the back nine to seal the victory.