Weinberg still in search of new dean

Search committee members are in the midst of evaluating more than 100 candidates to replace Weinberg Dean Eric Sundquist, said committee chair Kelly Mayo.

Mayo, a professor of biochemistry and molecular and cellular biology, said the committee has been working since late spring and hopes to have a final list of candidates by late fall.

Sundquist announced in February that he would resign his position, which he has held since 1997, to return to teaching. He will remain dean until June 2002.

Mayo said the committee is “just beginning the process of narrowing down a really large group” and there were “very strong prospects” from both inside and outside Northwestern.

At this stage, the committee primarily is narrowing down the list by looking over credentials. Later, Mayo said the committee will conduct more phone and personal interviews.

Mayo said the committee is looking for candidates with extensive scholastic experience who are “internationally recognized.” The candidates also must have experience with undergraduate education and administrative duties.

The 15-person search committee includes alumni, students and faculty from all three divisions of the college, Mayo said.

Once the search committee has submitted a final list, University President Henry Bienen and Provost Lawrence Dumas will make the final selection.