Committee talks of renewing city’s ComEd energy contract

Aldermen from the administration and public works committee met with Evanston’s Energy Commission Wednesday night at a special meeting to discuss energy policy and the Commonwealth Edison franchise agreement, a contract with Evanston’s electricity provider set to expire in August of 2002.

The contract signed three years ago was negotiated on the grounds that ComEd should make some major improvements. While the energy commission seems generally satisfied with ComEd’s progress, the group is concerned with the overloading of electrical circuits that may cause power outages in the future.

ComEd has not reduced its circuit load to below 90 percent yet, which was a project outlined in the 1999 contract. This could cause outages.

Talks came on the heals of national energy concerns. Ald. Lionel Jean-Baptiste asked the committee if the power crisis that has plagued California for months could cause problems for Evanston.

But Ald. Edmund Moran (6th), chairman of the administration and public works committee, said he doesn’t expect Evanston to experience the kind of power outages California has had in the past year.

ComEd made real progress consistent with its obligation outlined in the contract, Moran said. But he said he would like to see greater reliability from the power company.

The energy commission did not make any recommendations on whether or not Evanston should renew its contract with ComEd. David Grummand, chair of the energy commission, said the two groups, who met at the Evanston Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave., were not seeking answers Wednesday.