NU names general counsel

After a national search for a new general counsel, Northwestern administrators decided to select one of their own for the job.

Current Deputy General Counsel Tom Cline will succeed Michael Weston, who is retiring Aug. 31 after 11 years serving as general counsel. Weston began his career at NU in 1973 as a university attorney and was named vice president for legal affairs in 1981. He announced that he would step down in October.

After working with Cline throughout his tenure as general counsel, Weston said he is confident that Cline is up to the job.

“I’m delighted at the selection,” Weston said. “I think he will do an absolutely first-rate job for NU. He won out after a national search, which speaks to the fact that people are pleased with the work our office does.”

Cline said he was “thrilled” at the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Weston.

“(Weston) has been one of the best general counsels in the country in my opinion,” Cline said. “I have big shoes to fill, but I also have had a terrific role model.”

Cline also said he believes his knowledge of NU and his relationship with the community were factors that helped sway the selection committee.

“My sense all along was that it was a blessing and a curse,” he said. “My knowledge of the institution was the greatest asset I could bring to the table. But sometimes when you are an internal candidate, you have to overcome perceptions of you in a new role.”

Vice President for Administration and Planning Marilyn McCoy, who headed the 10-person search committee, said Cline was selected out of a strong group of national candidates.

“He’s clearly very qualified,” McCoy said of Cline, who was picked by University President Henry Bienen. “He knows higher education and Northwestern, and he’s an excellent lawyer and a great colleague.”

Vice President for University Relations Alan Cubbage said he believes, like Weston, that Cline realizes there is more to being a successful lawyer than legal knowledge.

“You have to be a good lawyer, but you also have to be a good leader,” Cubbage said.

Cline’s responsibility as general counsel will be to ensure that NU’s law office provides timely and effective service for all NU legal matters.

Cline has previously dealt with cases involving community relations, student affairs, federal regulatory issues and athletics during his 12-year career at NU. As Weston’s second-in-command, Cline has been responsible for some of the day-to-day responsibilities of being general counsel, including budget management and research.

“Having been here for as long as I have, I’ve had the opportunity to work with every member of the central administration and other key personnel,” he said. “I hope (my experience) will help our clients feel comfortable coming to our office with questions and concerns.”

Former Associated Student Government President Adam Humann said Cline has been helpful with student issues, including the Sexual Assault Hearing and Appeals System review committee, the vice president for student affairs search committee and the search for an ASG-funded student lawyer.

“It’s great that this person who’s going to be general counsel has this track record of being involved in issues of relevance to students,” said Humann, a Weinberg senior.

Cline originally joined NU as assistant general counsel in 1989 after working as chief operating officer and general counsel at the National Association for Home Care.

He was promoted to associate general counsel in 1993 and to deputy general counsel in 1996.

Although Weston has pledged to stay involved and help if needed, he said he is trying to turn over all of his cases to other lawyers in the office by Aug. 31.

“All of the lawyers in this office are superb,” Weston said. “Tom’s selection just confirms that the office will be in very good hands.”

In retirement Weston plans to devote more time to his post as president of Youth Organizations Umbrella Inc., an Evanston agency that offers social service and educational and recreational programs to middle school-age children.