Waa-Mu books NU writers for new material

Flamboyant dance moves and seven nerds in a library seem an unlikely combination, but books hold possibilities for anything to happen in this year’s Waa-Mu show.

Written entirely by students under the direction of Music Theatre chairman Dominic Missimi, the 70th annual Waa-Mu show, “Sorry, We’re Booked,” plays on the interaction between books and reality.

“Books are a way to escape everyday life and they take you from one world to another,” said Dan Brintz, co-chairman of the show.

The musical revue relates individuals’ connections to books, whether reading to escape into a fairy-tale romance or learning how to tap dance. Some songs explore famous stories including The Odyssey or Lord of the Flies while others explore racier topics like sneaking a peek at dirty magazines or making out in the library.

Dressed in white costumes, hand-painted with text from their respective stories, Huckleberry Finn, Othello, Hester Prynne, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Robin Hood and the Marquis de Sade act as pages, leading the audience through the revue. They literally turn the page from song to sketch.

“They’re kind of our glue for the show – what you might call a through-line in theater,” Missimi said.

But Huck and Hester aren’t the only characters audience members will recognize. Characters from Scarlett O’Hara to Dracula make an appearance in this year’s show. A cast of 38, which includes 19 seniors, brings all of these characters to life.

“It’s really exciting to work with so many seniors this year,” said Willis White, Weinberg and Music senior.

This is White’s fourth year performing in the show. This year he wrote the new a cappella arrangement of “To the Memories,” the closing number that has been sung for the past 50 years of Waa-Mu.

“It’s always nice to see a student creation at the piano turn into a major stage production,” White said.

Both Missimi and the co-chairmen said they were excited that all of the music this year was written by students.

“Normally things are borrowed from past shows,” Missimi said. “We were able to do everything from scratch.”

New material keeps the show interesting and original, Brintz said. “(Waa-Mu) is one of Northwestern’s traditions, but we’re constantly looking for ways to improve it and relate it to students today.”

Missimi said he was excited that one-third of the show was written by two freshmen, Michael Mahler and Jeremy Cohen.

“It’s really quite an opportunity for young writers,” said Cohen, who wrote three pieces for the show. In one of his songs, “King Cliff,” Music senior Chris Tuttle embodies the character of the title, handing out CliffNotes to grateful students.

Mahler wrote seven of the 25 numbers, including the show’s title song. Mahler said he was pleased that the Waa-Mu show offered him the chance to showcase his music and work with professional composers, including Tony Award winner Jason Robert Brown.

Besides being written entirely by students, most of the show’s dance numbers are choreographed by students. In her fourth year working and performing with Waa-Mu, Speech senior Lauren Keleher said the variety within the show allowed a greater variety of choreography options. Keleher choreographed a boy band dance for “Love Song” and also performs in the show.

“There are so many different styles of singing and dancing and acting – it’s like a big collage,” she said. “I don’t know where else I would get to choreograph a boy band!”

The fact that NU students can create a Broadway style show is impressive, Missimi said.

“No school is the country does a show of this caliber and quality with the serious intent of promoting outstanding musical theater,” he said. “It is truly unique.” nyou