Top sorority scholars to be honored at benefit luncheon

The Chicago North Shore Panhellenic Board will honor 25 top academic Northwestern junior and senior sorority members during its annual benefit luncheon Thursday at Wilmette Golf Course Terrace Restaurant.

Funds from the luncheon will support scholarships for sorority delegates attending the Undergraduate Interfraternity Institute leadership conference this summer.

“We need to realize that people are going to universities and trying to achieve the highest level they can,” said Jean L. Damisch, Weinberg ’51 and Speech ’69, a member of Chi Omega and president of the board. “If someone is achieving at this level, then I think we should recognize that.”

Peggy Yu, Panhellenic Association president, said the high achievers represent the best scholars out of the 12 sororities being honored.

“It’s something we all envy,” said Yu, an Education junior.

About 125 people are expected to attend the luncheon, including this year’s honorees, Panhel delegates and board members. Events include a speech by Yu and singing performances by NU students Jennifer Powers, Miss Illinois 2000, and accomplished voice major Janette Zilioli. Weinberg junior Jennie Ellis will speak about the UIFI conference she attended in July at Butler University in Indiana.

Ellis, president of Delta Delta Delta and the university-campus liaison, said her fellow conference participants encouraged her as a leader.

“They all inspired a shared vision,” Ellis said. “They’re all people that are willing to work.”

The board selected one junior and one senior from each sorority chapter, requiring a grade point average of 3.75 or higher.

Emily Schultz, a Speech junior and Panhel vice president of membership, said it’s great that the board is recognizing the women.

Schultz said women who attend the luncheon will have a rare opportunity to meet alumnae.

“I think collegiates tend not to think past the college level,” Schultz said.